San Crispolto Church - Bettona
The church of San Crispolto was erected by the Benedictine monks at the beginning of the 13th century to preserve the body of the patron saint. The temple has a Latin cross shape and over the centuries it has been the subject of numerous interventions, for example, just the beautiful cuspidated bell tower remains of the whole primitive Romanesque building.
The current facade (1795-1797) is the work of the Roman Antonio Stefanucci, a pupil of Vanvitelli; near the main altar we find a canvas of 1590; the organ is the work of Cianciulla Romani from Cortona; the bust of the saint is in silver-plated copper from the early 18th century.
In the left transept there is a pictorial cycle of 36 works depicting the legend of San Crispolto, copies made in 1797 by Stefano Notari; the much more precious original cycle, which decorated the central nave was attributed to Cesare Sermei from Orvieto.