36 meters and 25 centuries of history: the Cava district, Orvieto
In 1527, Pope Clement VII, who had taken refuge in Orvieto during the Sack of Rome, ordered the construction of a well in the Cava district. The well was built by enlarging one of Etruscan origin, dug into the tuff between the 4th and 5th centuries BC, to reach the spring at a depth of 36 meters. Currently, the well is part of a larger archaeological complex. It is just one stop on an underground journey through Etruscan, medieval, and Renaissance findings.
Photo: Well of Cava - Orvieto