Castiglione del Lago

Rock of Polvese Island

map thumbnail


Tourist information and welcome office
Piazza Gramsci 1 - 06061 Castiglione del Lago
info@iat.castiglione-del-lago.pg.it
The fortress is located on the Isola Polvese which, together with the Isola Maggiore and Isola Minore, occupies the basin of Lake Trasimeno.
Of the three islands Polvese is the most extended and today is characterized by its thick olive cultivation.
It was already populated, since the lake shores were not so sure.
In the census of 1282 the settlement was classified as "Villa", and so it will remain until 1438, when it was called "Castrum".
At the end of the fourteenth century to the damage suffered by the various struggles for territorial supremacy, as the destruction of boats and fishing equipment, the island powder was almost totally abandoned.
Only in the fifteenth century the eighty inhabitants of the island decided to erect the fortress to defense them and the small group of religious olivetani who lived there.
In 1437 because of the extreme cold and heavy snowfall, the waters of Lake Trasimeno froze.
In the seventeenth century the castle became the seat of the Governor of the lake, but even before, when the monks moved, because of malaria and humid climate, at the monastery of St. Anthony, the castle began to decay.
After several changes of ownership of several important families in the nineteenth century the order of Camaldolesi sold the castle to Count Vincenzo Pianciani of Spoleto, which created a hunt reserve with pheasants and hares.
For over half a century the family Pianciani organized hunts getting involved Umbrian and Roman nobility.
In 1939 the new owner, Biagio Biagiotti, built new buildings and roads, planting too many trees.
Since 1973 belongs to Provincial Administration of Perugia, and in 1974 was declared a wildlife protection oasis.