Co-cathedral of the St. Annunziata - Todi
Todi Dome is dedicated to Mary SS. Annunziata.
It was begun in the 13th century, continued in the 13th but completed only in the 14th century.
The 13th century façade, provided with an horizontal crowning, was modified different times, and the last time was in the first years of 1500.
Above the wonderful central rose window stands out, whose original glasses have been replaced, with the 19th century renewal of the whole building, by the current ones of Francesco Moretti on cardboards by Eliseo Fattorini and Giuseppe Francisci.
The major portal is decorated with a band provided with ornamental acanthus leaves, culminating at the centre with the figure of a Blessing Christ.
It should be noted that the sculpted wooden door has the four upper panels in walnut wood produced by Antonio Bencivenni da Mercatello, who portrayed there the VIrgin Announced, the Archangel Gabriel, St. Peter and St. Paul.
The six bottom panels, in oak wooden, were instead executed by Carlo Lorenti, commissioned by the bishop Ulderico di Carpegna, as replacement of the original ones that were damaged.
The bell tower, maybe of the 1200, stands out on the right side.
The right aisle is open by Gothic arches on octagonal columns towards a fourth aisle, divided in seven chapels, where several artworks are located: the fresco of the Nativity of a Perugia master, the window with Christ Baptism, copy of the Perugino executed in 1860 by Eliseo Fattorini, the panel Virgin with Child and the St. Catherine of Alexandria and Rocco, executed around the 1516 by Giannicola di Paolo.
The Gothic altar has been documented since 1343, has been modified and enriched with marble columns in 1574; above the chandelier is made up of a double eagle in silver plates, executed by Giovanni Giardini.
The Cesi Chapel is located on the left of the chancel, and its vault has been frescoed by Faenzone.
The crypt preserves three sculptures coming from the façade, depicting a Virgin with the Child, an Angel leading the Bishop and the Saint, the first two ones attributed to Giovanni Pisano, the third one to the sculptor Rubeus.