Cascia

Collegiata di Santa Maria - Cascia

map thumbnail


Tourist information and welcome office
Piazza Garibaldi 1 - 06043 Cascia
info@iat.cascia.pg.it
The collegiate church of Santa Maria is situated in Cascia within the walled perimeter, next to the Leonina door.
Built in the twelfth century (in the north wall contains the remains of the original Romanesque structure) was rebuilt in the Gothic style (even this makeover is lost) and in 1532.
The facade, characterized by a gable, has two portals (1535 and 1621), a niche with a sixteenth century fresco depicting Saint Seba-stian and Madonna della Quercia in addition to a stone lion part of the ancient portico (the other, removed from the fa├žade in 1621, when it was opened the second port is situated at the square).
The interior, with three naves covered cruise, has set-sixteenth cen-tury and has wooden altars and polychrome stucco of the sixteenth and eighteenth centuries.
In the counter is a Deposition of Nicola da Siena, and a fifteenth-century Nativity. In the right aisle, the first altar presents Peace of Casciani, table of Mannerist style with wooden frame and the dais of Gaspare and Camillo Angelucci.
There are others altars St. Anne, St. Leonard and St. Nicola and the Madonna del Soccorso (seventeenth century).
There are frescoes with Stories of St. Charles and the Madonna and Child, at the bottom of the nave.
In the left aisle they are the Mysteries of the Rosary of Nicholas Frangipani (1538).
According to legend, the church is also the baptismal font where it was baptized Santa Rita in 1381.