Monte Santa Maria Tiberina

St. Mary Church and Bourbon Chapel

map thumbnail

Tourist information and welcome office
Corso Cavour 5 - 06012 Città di Castello
Built at the beginning of the 11th century, the church presents a very simple stone façade that reveals its Romanesque origins. 

The bell tower, even if it also has a Romanesque design, is instead an addition of the 19th century following the collapse of the original bell tower.

The church presents a Latin cross plant with five trusses supporting the roof’s weight.

From the entrance, proceeding towards the altar, it is possible to observe:


The Baptismal font, octagonal in shape and built with sandstone, dating back to the 16th century, was made by an unknown author. Among the various symbols carved on it, it is possible to see the emblem of the marquis Bourbon of the St. Mary Mountain, derived from the pedestal of the font, in the shape of a lion’s paw.


A stone slab dating back to the 12th century is preserved Inside a small chapel and it represents symbols related to the Old and New Testament. If we go on along the right wall, a valuable wrought-iron railing, dating back to the 16th century, gives access to the BOUBON NOBLE CHAPEL, made erected in 1613 from the marquis Gianbattista Bourbon del Monte.


Described for the first time in the pastoral visit of 1784, it is in the baroque style and each decoration has been derived from the processing of the Serena stone. The central reliquary hosts a valuable wooden reproduction of the Lady with the Child, artwork of an unknown sculptor of the 14th century. Considered since the Middle Ages not just the protector, but also the first castle object of St. Mary Mountain, the statue has on its arm the silver keys of the village, which are traditionally given to the Virgin in the occasion of the Ascension festival, the main celebration of the village, during whom the statue is carried onto a solemn procession around the walls of the village.


Its inside preserves the external part of a sarcophagus in sandstone dating back to the 16th century, embedded in the wall. Another sarcophagus, in this case dating back to the Early Christian epoch, now serves as the basis for the modern altar.

On the right side of the major altar and in front of the modern organ, a big wooden hatch allows the access to the church’s crypt, equipped for burials, as it was common until the Napoleonic Age.

This environment - not open to the public - still hosts tombs and remains of the dead people.