Sigillo

Chiesa di Sant'Agostino - Sigillo

map thumbnail


Tourist information and welcome office
Via della Repubblica 15 - 06024 Gubbio
info@iat.gubbio.pg.it
The Church of St. Augustine, located within the village of Sigillo, was built between 1788 and 1791 by the Swiss architect Giacomo Cantoni on the foundations of the ancient Church of St. Catherine. Only the medieval Crypt of that church remains, restored by the Municipal Administration and converted into a cultural centre.
The façade features twin pilasters and by the austere portal. On the walls there are two niche-styled altars that are built on each side and alternated to niches with statues. The apse is enriched by a wooden choir and preceded by a slightly elevated presbytery.
The high altar was executed between 1795 and 1796 by making extensive use, for the coatings, of marbles in various colours: ancient green, yellow from Siena and red from Verona. The building's neoclassical interior is characterized by a single nave covered with a vault with elegant pilasters and capitals reaching the cornice.
Among the furnishings, there is a quite imposing organ and two confessionals made of walnut; ther are canvasses and wooden sculptures of the 16th, 17th century and a gilded copper Cross from 1494 by Enrico of Piemonte.
The most important artwork is the Annunciation painted on canvas, dontated by Ippolito Borghesi da Sigillo and placed behind the choir.