S. Mary of the Assumption's Church
S. Mary of the Assumption's Church was the mother church, the main one of the village. It's located near the Ternana Door along Sabina Road, today called Roma Road, once the main route crossing Calvi town centre.
His construction is dated back to the second half of the 13th century and its initial structure consisted of a smaller building compared to the current one with the side facing the entrance door of the village. The table along Roma Road with three round-arched windows, the original side door, today walled up, and the portal with three rincasso and acanthus leaves decorations in the archivolt supported by small columns, placed on this side of the church in the first half of the 17th century, but originally located on the facade, belong to this first stage. The bell tower, originally isolated and then incorporated in the current building, was built in the 1580s.
In its present form the church is the result of an extension operated between 1620 and 1650 and represents one of the several examples of the local architecture in the Counter-reformation and Late Mannerism. It has a longitudinal layout with a single nave covered by a barrel ribbed vault and it has a rectangular plant with five chapels along both long sides; at the bottom of the church, below the wooden choir and the 18th century organ, there are two compartments located inside the bell tower's structure, one of whom is today walled up.
It has no transept and a straight end, without apse: at the centre there is the presbyterial chapel with the major altar and the canvas depicting the "Our Lady of Assumption and St. Pancrazio" by Salvatore Pierella, dated 1737; on its sides there are two aristocratic chapels that are bigger than the other ones: the left one is the Sernicoli Chapel, the most richly decorated one in the church, and on its altar we can find the "Madonna on the Throne with the Child among SS. Biagio and Berardo" by Giuseppe Cesari, called the Knight from Arpino, painted around the 1630s; the chapel on the right, instead, belonged to the Fioretti Family and hosts the canvas of "Jesus Circumcision", artwork made by Calisto Calisti from Bagnaia, signed and dated 1640.
The side chapels belonged to private families or brotherhoods residing in this church. The chapels including the most significant artworks are the Chapel of the Society of the Holy Rosary including the big canvas with the "Lady Mary of the Rosary", artwork of a Flemish painter and executed at the end of the 1560s; the S. Joseph Chapel with the Canvas of the Virgin's Marriage by Vincenzo Manenti and the Chapel today called of the Baptism with the Baptismal Font made of finely carved marble, bearing the emblems of Calvi's community and of the Ceri-Anguillara family as well as showing the date 1559.