Campello sul clitunno

Campello Alta

map thumbnail


Tourist information and welcome office
Largo Ferrer 6/7 - 06049 Spoleto
info@iat.spoleto.pg.it
Overlooking the valley of Spoleto, Campello Castle is a fortified highland settlement situated on a hilltop 514 meters on the level of the sea, between the hills and the mountain that still preserves the characteristics of a medieval landscape, with the castle, the village, the tower houses next to the walls, the small fields surrounded by hedges, the white roads of access characterized by vegetation, the Majesty at intersections and terraces full of olive trees.
The castle keeps intact the fourteenth-century structure both in the well preserved long stretches of the walls and towers both in the internal and external architecture of the fortified center. The castle has the typical circular walls, the small village grew up along the access road to the side of the plain. Well preserved are the only gateway with defensive equipment and the public building placed next to the church, which opens onto a charming paved square with the typical cobbled area. The Church of St. Donatus, of Romanesque origin, was renovated several times in the Baroque period, especially in the interior, where, as a result of recent renovations, were discovered votive frescoes referring to the fifteenth century.
In according with the history, the castle was founded in the mid-tenth century by Rovero Champeaux, who had the lordship. Frederick I, Henry VI and Frederick II always confirmed the Campello accounts jurisdiction of the castle because they favored the Swabians against the Church.
In 1247 the Cardinal Legate Capocci recognized the possession of Campello to the City of Spoleto. The animosity of Campello accounts against the Church had still to occur even in 1326, when the Silver Campello accounts gathered the militias to take it back.
Only in 1390 the Campello accounts ceded to the Confraternity of the place their feudal rights on the castle. From that time and until the eighteenth century the castle was joined to the city of Spoleto. Then it became an independent municipality.
In nearby Pian of Routes, the exploration of a natural cavity has revealed a core of coarse clay pottery ascribed to the ancient (XVII-XVIII)
and medium (XVI-XV) Bronze Age. The vases, found crushed by earth, would suggest a ritual use of the cave. In general, sites in the Bronze Age are at the edge of the alluvial plains or on the hills, that is sheltered from the problems caused by the waters of the plain.