Umbertide

Chiesa di San Francesco - Umbertide

map thumbnail


Tourist information and welcome office
Corso Cavour 5 - 06012 Città di Castello
info@iat.citta-di-castello.pg.it
The church of San Francesco is located at Piazza San Francesco in Umbertide, near the church of San Bernardino.
The facade has ashlar adorned with a three-lobed arched portal of the 14th century, above which is a large oculus. The interior is of the Franciscan type, with a Gothic apse, and two aisles with an arched the lower part. Until a few years ago, the church contained the Madonna and Child in Glory with Angels and Saints painted by Niccolò Pomarancio Circignani in 1577 and a wooden sculpture of St. Roch of 1528, attributed to Romano Alberti called il Nero. To better preserve the two works, they were recently transferred to the museum in the nearby church of Santa Croce. Currently the adjoining convent houses the Historical Municipal and City Library.