Church of Sant'Agostino

map thumbnail

Ufficio informazioni accoglienza turistica
Piazza Matteotti, 18 - Loggia dei Lanari - 06121 Perugia
The monastery church of Sant'Agostino rises up on top of a hill covered with olive trees, just south of hill of Corciano.
The oldest document which testifies the existence of the complex, seat of the Hermits of Sant' Agostino, is of 1334. In 1811, Napoleon tried to suppress the convent, but the sudden return of papal rule ensured the recovery of the structure, then definitively abolished in 1860.
Despite having undergone several transformations, the church, externally, still shows its fourteenth connotations. Built of limestone with gabled, today raised the facade to allow a new roof.
The ancient Gothic windows of the facade were changed with two square openings and the portal was replaced with an eighteenth century entrance. 
On the two sides of the church a double row of bricks shows the original height of the building and, still here, are two beautiful Gothic mullioned buffered windows. Even the apse, now rectangular, was modified. According to the cadastral survey of 1729 was in fact a semi-circular shape. Even the beautiful window which lights inside the church is eighteenth century.
The interior shows more Gothic traces: the seven nineteenthcentury restoration work has changed the appearance. Shortly before the abolition of 1860 Father Raffaele Lauro made to affix the last stucco decorations on the eighteenth-century altars.
This church, like many other of Corciano, was a place of burial. There are still three tombstones on the floor.
There are many art works created for the monastery, stands out among all the banner by Benedetto Bonfigli, currently preserved in the parish church, and four beautiful baroque reliquaries.
In this church are venerated the four patron saints of the City: St. Michael the Archangel, St. Sebastian, St. Roch and St. Macarius.
The convent, originally built for twelve monks, is now privately owned. Inside there's a beautiful cloister, within they are painted the Stories of St. Augustine, with captions in verse of the late seventeenth century by erudite Costanzo Ricci of Corciano. Unfortunately they are very damaged.