Villa Paolina - Porano

map thumbnail

Tourist information and welcome office
Piazza Duomo 24 - 05018 Orvieto
Villa Paolina, also called of the Corniolo because of the abundance of these wild bushes in the surrounding bush, is a wide complex developing on a narrow hilly terrace among steep tufa crags, along the way that from Porano heads towards Bagnoregio in the Orvieto area.
Its tree buoyancy hides it to the sight but at the same time it includes it among the main Umbrian parks. The villa, at the bottom of a long tree-lined boulevard, rises in the heart of an historical park among the most significant ones in Italy that extends for nine hectares. The pretty complex includes wide garden areas with a design and trees of great value, harmoniously blended with the wilder surrounding territory.
All the estate follows a design with helical bevels regulating both the arrangement of buildings and green areas. It was built by the will of marquis Giovan Battista Gualtiero in 1706 on a pre-existing monastic structure, as summer residence for prelates. Starting from 1874 the complex underwent a process of transformation by the will of the Viti Mariani family, before it passed on to the Casini family.
It has been owned by the Terni Province since the 1980s. Currently the villa, seat of the Institute of the Agroforestry of the NRC, houses different cultural and sport events. It consists of a central building with two lateral wings. The building is entered via a low terrace connected to the garden by a double semicircular staircase. All the arched windows of the façade are inserted into niches. In the building there are rooms decorated in nineteenth century style and a gallery decorated with landscape motifs. To complete the building there are minor buildings such as the lemon house, the farmhouse and the semi-circular exedra. Etruscan tombs dating back to the 4th century BC have been found in the park.