At the time of the Signoria of Biordo Michelotti—between 1394 and 1398—several maintenance and restoration actions were carried out; his coat of arms is sculpted in various parts of the fortress.
In 1458, on its northwest side, a Polygonal Tower was raised by order of Jacopo Piccinino. The next year, Pope Pius II ordered the construction of the Corridor that connected the Rocca with the Polygonal Tower. The entrance door near the Keep was opened in 1484; three coats of arms are sculpted above it, the one at the center is that of Pope Sixtus IV. At the end of the 15th century the Rocca became the setting of vicious fights between the Fiumi and Nepis families.
In 1501, first Cesare Borgia and later his sister Lucrezia lived there. The last important construction work on the Rocca fortress was carried out in 1535, when Pope Paul III ordered the building of the Circular Bastion. After its primary defensive function, the Rocca Maggiore became a residence of the castellans, custodians charged with the security of the surrounding territory. It later became a prison and then a warehouse.
Appreciated again, and enhanced by restoration work, the Rocca can be visited today.
The entrance door opens near the 16th century bastion; inside there is a courtyard, all paved with bricks of the 14th century; on the side there is the donjon, where the service rooms were located. The keep was the house of the castellan; there are five rooms inside it—one above the other—that are reached by a spiral staircase.
- Every day from 10 am to 5.0 pm; last entrance allowed 4:15 pm;
- 6.00 € Full
- 4.00 € reduced (adults over 65, school groups, groups of over 20, university students with card, children 9-18)
- Free for residents of the Municipality of Assisi, minors 8 years old, disabled persons and accompanying person, ICOM members
- 9,00 € cumulative full price
- 6.00 € reduced cumulative ticket (adults over 65, school groups, groups of over 20, university students with ID, children 9-18, Assisi Welcome Card holders).
- The cumulative ticket includes admission to the Rocca Maggiore, Roman Forum and Municipal Art Gallery and includes an audio guide to the city to download onto your mobile phone.
- 14.00 € full Ecotour (cumulative museum ticket including electric shuttle for city tour)
- 5,00 € reduced Ecotour (children 3-8 years old, residents of the municipality of Assisi)
The Ecotour ticket is free for children up to 2 years of age and non-self-sufficient disabled persons.