Città di Castello

The Palace of the Prior or the Town Hall

map thumbnail


Tourist information and welcome office
Corso Cavour 5 - 06012 Città di Castello
info@iat.citta-di-castello.pg.it
The Palace of the Prior or the Town Hall has a solemn and elegant architecture, and it is one of the most important public buildings in Umbria. The Town Hall, also called "of the Priors", is one of the most distinguished public buildings in Umbria. 

Built between 1322 and 1338, the architrave bezel bears an inscription, now worn, with the name of the architect Angelo from Orvieto, in addition to the emblem of the municipality. The entry hall features octagonal pillars and a large vault. A sixteenth-century staircase leads to the large Council Chamber which houses numerous Roman inscriptions on marble and stone as well as the brick stamps coming from that area and, on the wall, fragments of frescoes of the Sienese school; a fine imposing statue representing Umbria region by the local sculptor Elmo Palazzi.
Its construction began in 1322 and stopped after the completion of the first order of mullioned windows in 1338. On the lunette of the main door the coat of arms is carved and an inscription on the lintel shows the name of the architect, Angelo from Orvieto. He simultaneously worked on the construction of two other public buildings: the building of Podestà (chief magistrate) in the city and another one of the Consuls in Gubbio. Looking at the exterior decoration, the typical motifs of Citta di Castello,in various points, can be noticed which are the fortress and the cross with three towers.
On the bezel of the lower door, the figure of Justice is carved. The facade has a surface with bosses, rustications, made of blocks of sandstone, ductile and soft stone present in upper Tiber hills, which easily lends itself to the realization not only of rustications, but also of the doors and windows.
The atrium is imposing and severe, with two massive octagonal pillars supporting the large covering. From the capitals depart rectangular and round cross-ribs. From the top of the large sixteenth century staircase, on the right, is the spacious Council hall, where some fresco fragments came to light during restoration work. There are many Roman inscriptions on marble and stone as well as brick stamps from the area on display, and a fine impositng statue of the Umbria Region by the local sculptor Elmo Palazzi. In the adjoining " Executive Room", in addition to Garibaldi memorabilia, there is a large painting by Vincenzo Barboni, The Martyrdom of St. Lawrence, painted in 1832.

Fonte: IAT Città di Castello