Città della Pieve

Church of Santa Maria dei Bianchi

map thumbnail


Tourist information and welcome office
Piazza Mazzini 10 - 06061 Castiglione del Lago
info@iat.castiglione-del-lago.pg.it
The church of Santa Maria dei Bianchi, former Oratory of the Disciplined, is at the center of Città della Pieve.

From some documents we know that the church already existed in the 14th century and had annexed the hospital, which later became a hospice. Starting from the 18th century a new church was built on the structure of the previous one. In 1743 the interventions inside were completed, in 1772 the facade was started, finished around 1780. The latter was influenced both by the Rococo and Neoclassical taste.

Inside are remarkable frescos and paintings of the Roman painter Giovanni Miselli, 1743-1744, the Presentation at the Temple of the High Altar and the stuccoes by Stefano Cremoni. The interesting organ on the counter-façade is by Claudio Carletti da Fabriano.

In the sacristy there is a remarkable fresco of 1606 by Antonio Circignani, unfortunately very damaged, depicting The Presentation of Mary in the Temple.

In 1504 the friars had master painter Pietro Vannucci, known as Perugino, painted the Adoration of the Magi scene on the whole back wall of the church. He executed the work with such solicitude that he finished it the same year. It is one of the greatest and most complex works that the master did. The nativity scene conceived and largely executed by Perugino, is certainly one of his most beautiful works: from the splendid landscape represented in the background, to the fineness of the characters, very numerous in this composition, only thirty life-size figures, more small ones. The central part is the most accurate and shows that Perugino, in the part that most attracts the observer's gaze, put all his ingenuity into action, leaving to his help the groups of lateral figures.
The church is one of the three parishes of the city.