Sigillo

Chiesa di Sant'Anna - Sigillo

map thumbnail


Tourist information and welcome office
Via della Repubblica 15 - 06024 Gubbio
info@iat.gubbio.pg.it
Located on the ancient Flaminia Road, it is now called the church of the graveyard, and it was built  around the middle of 15th century, thanks to the people`s alms.
It was the seat of the Confraternity of St. Anna, its brothers were called brothers of St. Anna and often used to meet there under the guidance of a priest.
The municipal graveyard was built nearby in the last century.
It always had only one altar and in 1633 a porch in front of the church with three naves and 6 columns was added, as it can be seen today. Later the porch was enclosed, turning the whole building into a beautiful and great temple.
The ancient Flaminia road used to pass below the right aisle. Many masses were celebrated on the altar, paid for by pious benefactors.
The feast of the patron saint used to be celebrated there in ancient times.
It still remains a place visited for the most important sacred processions celebrating in Sigillo.
Its maintenance was entrusted to the community of Sigillo and to the confraternity of S.S.Sacrament.
In 1922 the atrium and the façade overlooking the square were restored.