Poggiodomo

Chiesa di San Carlo Borromeo

map thumbnail


Tourist information and welcome office
Via Giovanni da Chiavano 1 - 06043 Cascia
info@iat.cascia.pg.it
This parish church was built in 1635 to replace the now-gone Church of St. Anthony of Padua, located within the castle walls.
A Renaissance-style portal opens on the wide façade. It has one single nave with a square presbytery.
There are nine wooden altars of the 17th and 18th century, of which eight are along the sides of the nave and were donated by the noble families of the village. The high altar is dedicated to St. Carlo Borromeo with the wooden statues of St. Macario and St. Rocco on both sides. The high altar is surmounted by a big crucifix with two angels. The base of the right column of the high altar and the chancel carry the emblem of the “Congregation of Landowners”, that will later become the emblem of the Poggiodomo Municipality.