Monte Castello di Vibio

Church of Santi Filippo e Giacomo

map thumbnail


Tourist information and welcome office
Piazza del Popolo 38 - 06059 Todi
info@iat.todi.pg.it
The Church of Santi Filippo e Giacomo is on Piazza Vittorio Emanuele II, the main square of Monte Castello di Vibio.
The church was built in 1851, funded by Popes Gregory XVI and Pius IX, on the site of a smaller previous church. The neoclassical-style building has a very simple facade with a semicircular window recently completed with stained glass. The church has a rectangular plan divided into three naves ending in semi-circular apses. The interior is decorated with remarkable frescoes on the vault, the walls and pillars, created by the artist Nicola Perugia Benvenuti and his brother Federico. At the center of the presbytery it is situated the imposing main altar flanked by statues of San Filippo and San Giacomo, and dominated by the miraculous image of the Madonna of Portenti. Also worth noticing are the baptismal font and the sacred olea with patterns and finely carved figures, and the so-called Holy Arm in silver,which holds a ring and bracelet, relics of Saints Filippo and Giacomo.