Magione

Castle of the Knights of Malta in Magione

map thumbnail


Tourist information and welcome office
Piazza Mazzini 10 - 06061 Castiglione del Lago
info@iat.castiglione-del-lago.pg.it
Originally a hospital of the Knights of St John of Jerusalem, later known as the Knights of Malta, and dedicated to St. John Baptist, the original core of the castle was built in the mid-12th century not far from the important road between Perugia, Lake Trasimeno and Tuscany. 

Even if some people believe that the facility belonged originally to the Knights Templar, later passed to the Knights of St John of Jerusalem, there are no documents attesting this proposal. On the contrary, all documents of the 12th century tend to show that the castle has always belonged to the current owners.

In March 1261, this hospital was almost totally destroyed by the militias of the Perugia municipality; the only remains of the original structure are parti of the church, the base of the bell tower and some parts of the current western wing. Already renovated in the second half of 13th century, in 1367 the structure was extended in its eastern side, whereas an arcade over the church and probably the circular tower on the left of the current entrance were built in 1471.

The 16th century saw the construction of other arcades, which incorporate some parts of the 14th century arcades and are still visible on the three sides of the inner courtyard. It was probably on the occasion of these new works, or right before them, that two frescoes representing the Nativity and a composition with the Virgin Mary, St. John Baptist and St. James have been made. Other minor works occurred in 1644, when the sandstone puteal has been built on a pre-existing tank.

The name Badia, used by the Magione inhabitants for his structure, established itself in modern times, when the term Magione was no longer indicated the castle (something that was already happening in the 16th century), but referred to the village in place of the more ancient Pian di Carpine. The documentation from the late 15th century refers to the abbatia (abbey) Mansionis Plani Carpinis.

Currently the buildings are used as the operational centre of a large farm and vineyard. Local wines were praised by the humanist Giannantonio Campano who, in the mid-15th century, stated that there were few districts producing better wines than those from around Lake Trasimeno.

For further information:

www.castellodimagione.it