Todi

Tempio San Fortunato

map thumbnail


Bureau d’accueil touristique
Piazza del Popolo 38 - 06059 Todi
info@iat.todi.pg.it
The temple of St. Fortunato rises in Piazza Umberto I, at the top of a beautiful staircase, over the remains of a complex earlier than 1000.
The building was built by the Order of Minor Franciscans, upon a design by a still unknown architect. The works started in 1292 and continued until the second half of 1400: when they stopped they didn’t restart again and the church remained incomplete. The huge Gothic bell tower, of 1460, rises on the side of the church; the ancient convent is nearby, and it also has a beautiful cloister. The façade, in pure Italian gothic style, started in 1415 and is incomplete: its architect was Giovanni di Santuccio who died in 1458, leaving the artwork as we see it today.
Among the three ogival portals, that are stylistically very different, the central one is splendid, decorated with spiral columns that are executed with great accuracy and decorative richness, as showed by the tendrils and the small figures on them; the portal is flanked by two niches, with a “Gabriel” and an “Annunciation” in a stile recalling Jacopo della Quercia.
The interior of the church dates to the late 13th century: it has three aisles of the same height; it has cross-shaped vaults and a polygonal apse; the high altar has a Gothic style of the 14th century. The right aisle has seven chapels, the left one six chapels.
The church, containing sacred ornaments and artistical treasures, was largely plundered in 1327 – 1328 by Lodovico the Bavarian and the antipope Piero della Corvara. Among the artworks that are still preserved the following ones stand out: a “Madonna with the Child and two Angels”, of 1432, an artwork of Masolino da Panicale; an oil table by A. Polinori (1618); 14th century frescoes of the Giotto school; a beautiful wooden choir of 1590, an artwork of Antonio Maffei from Gubbio.
The underlying crypt, built in 1596, hosts the relics of the five patron saints of the town (St. Fortunate, St. Callisto, St. Cassiano, St. Romana and St. Degna) as well as the sepulchre of Jacopone from Todi.