Monteleone d'Orvieto

The Theatre of the Rustici

map thumbnail


Bureau d’accueil touristique
Piazza Duomo 24 - 05018 Orvieto
info@iat.orvieto.tr.it
Where is it
The Theatre of the Rustici is situated in Monteleone di Orvieto, a small historic village situated in the extreme north of the province of Terni.

The Theatre's past
Originally the theatre of Monteleone of Orvieto was the granary of the ancient public building in the village. Inside the hall is an inscription in tempera saying: "The community of Monteleone that in 1732 transformed this granary into a theater testifies to the city's love for civil education for the peaceful training of art".

Why visit
The small theatre of Monteleone di Orvieto is worth a visit both for the beauty of the interior, structured in two tiers of boxes, and for the theatrical review that is held during the year.

Description
In the 1732 the theatre of Monteleone of Orvieto was built in the granary of the ancient public building of the village on the initiative of some young townsmen who asked the Municipality and obtained permission to represent some plays in the carnival period. Despite the objections of the public authorities and especially the papal government, which feared that the representations were inspired by the revolutionary ideas of the Renaissance, theatrical activity went on even in the following centuries. Over the time, the building was renovated and enlarged several times, particularly in 1894. Currently it presents a horseshoe plan and two two tiers of boxes, for a total of 96 seats.