Montefranco

Church of San Bernardino - Montefranco

map thumbnail


Bureau d’accueil touristique
Via Cassian Bon, 4 - 05100 Terni
info@iat.terni.it
The church of San Bernardino was built on an ancient Benedictine chapel.
Located not far from the town of Montefranco, the church is characterized by two adjacent buildings. It’s dedicated to the town's patron saint San Bernardino, who preached in Montefranco in 1444. The interior of the church contains frescoes attributed to Orlando Merlini, student of Benozzo Gozzoli. In 1454 the church was built and, and then it was rebuilt in the fifteenth century, with an adjacent convent of the Padri Osservanti, and the facade still bears the traces of the original building. The interior, a single nave and a vaulted ceiling, contains numerous frescoes by different artists, ranging from the fifteenth to the sixteenth century.