Ficulle

Chiesa della Madonna della Maestà

map thumbnail


Bureau d’accueil touristique
Piazza Duomo 24 - 05018 Orvieto
info@iat.orvieto.tr.it
The oldest certain information about the church date back to the reports of the pastoral visits at the beginning of 1600. At that time the church was already a center of great devotion and, in the document of 1616, was nominated for the first time with the name of Majesty "sub title Majestatis”. 

The title is undoubtedly linked to the depiction of the Madonna and Child on a throne of clouds, between Angels and Saints, painted on the back wall. The current appearance is the result of various and successive interventions: the small chapel of origin, enlarged in 1848, underwent a radical transformation in 1890 with the construction of a sister church. In 1926, the dividing wall was broken down, the the two buildings were unified, and in 1980 it became necessary to detach the fresco for restoration and conservation. The crown encircling the head of the Virgin - the visible one is a copy of the original gold - was donated by the people of the town, in gratitude for having escaped destruction in World War II. Near the sacristy there is a painting depicting Madonna Addolorata, placed here in 1799. The citizens of Ficulle have a very intense and particular devotion for the Madonna of Majesty celebrated every year on November 21, when crowds of devotees from neighboring towns flock to the liturgical celebrations that take place continuously throughout the day.