The fortified hamlet rose around the 11th century and belonged to the powerful Montemarte, Filippeschi and Monaldeschi families. Later it became part of the Papal States and followed their vicissitudes until the Unification of Italy. ART, CULTURE, ENVIRONMENT
Overall the hamlet has maintained its original urban layout, including the imposing medieval town walls; the castle, the original nucleus of Montegabbione (around the year 1000); the Torre at the town entrance (15th century), of distinct military architectural design; and the characteristic street plan based on an orthogonal pattern. From the square, situated in the centre of the town, rise two lookout towers constructed to protect the inhabitants. Just outside the town walls stands the church of the Madonna delle Grazie, erected in 1625, with inside a beautiful fresco of the Madonna del Latte from the 16th century. Also close by is the Abbazia di Acqua Alta; the Castello di Casteldifiori; and in Montegiove the castle and the striking Convento Francescano della Scarzuola, founded by Saint Francis of Assisi in 1218. The conventual complex was bought in 1956 and restored by the Milanese architect, Tomaso Buzzi, who between the years 1958 to 1978, designed and built his Ideal City next to the convent. Città Buzziana was conceived as a "theatre machine" comprising 7 theatres surmounted by an Acropolis: a mountain of prototypical buildings that offer multiple perspectives because they are hollow inside and divided as in a termitarium. The surrounding territory is a spectacular series of hills whose highly fertile slopes, covered with olive trees and vineyards, have been producing high quality products since Roman times.