Agrégateur de contenus

Chiesa di San Michele Arcangelo

Chiesa di San Michele Arcangelo

The Chiesa di San Michele Arcangelo church, one of the oldest in Perugia, is located inside the Porta Sant'Angelo district in the final section of Corso Garibaldi. The latter is characterised by the presence of numerous religious buildings and voluntary institutions, such as the Chiesa di Sant'Agostino church, and the Monastero di San Benedetto, Monastero di Santa Caterina, Monastero di Sant'Antonio, Monastero della Beata Colomba and Monastero delle Clarisse di Sant'Agnese monasteries.
From the outside it is noteworthy as it is characterised by a circular structure topped by a lantern dome, with various single holes and with an attractive lawn in front.  Inside it also very charming, characterised by bare walls with bricks, a circular nave with one chapel, and by the sixteen columns which support the central drum. The large buttresses distributed circularly break up the ceiling aesthetic with beams and contribute to the visual effect.

Description
The Chiesa di San Michele Arcangelo church was built between the 5th and 7th centuries. It was the first religious building to be constructed in Perugia as well as being one of the first Paleo-Christian churches in Italy.

 

Its current appearance, enclosed within the city wall, does not allow us to see the significance which the temple had for centuries. Placed on a hill, out of the city, it was the only building where one could practise one's Christian faith in a city which was still dominated by a Pagan culture.

Comparable to the Roman churches of Santa Costanza and Santo Stefano Rotondo, it has a circular plan.

Inside, the central area is separated from the ambulatory by sixteen differently sized salvaged Corinthian columns which hold up the drum. A series of windows, three by three, open up in the direction of the four cardinal points.

The broach roof is braced with ribs supported by corbels, which, like the door, are from the Gothic era.

Walking around the ambulatory, you can see the small baptistery with votive frescoes from the 15th century, the Crucifix chapel and the chapel of the Angel, whereas the fourth chapel was lost when opening the portal.
The altar, at the centre of the church, is composed of an ancient marble slab on a half column.

 

Interesting facts
Unlike what one may think, the building does not derive from the transformation of an ancient Pagan temple.

In reality, Christians never used temples of ancient worship because they were the direct expression of Pagan religions and also because their dimensions were too small to perform masses or welcome the believers inside.

In reality when the worship of numerous gods declined, temples erected to secondary gods were given by magistrates to the Christian community for any use they wished to make of them which was almost always to demolish them for use in the construction of a church elsewhere. For this reason the columns inside the building and other elements are borrowed and probably come from the Temple of Vulcan and from an existing temple dedicated to Flora on the Civitella d'Arna hillside.

Information and useful advice

The historical centre of Perugia is easy to get to by leaving your car in one of the car parks which surround the historical centre, i.e. Briglie di Braccio, Pellini, the car park on piazza Partigiani and that of Sant'Antonio. From here you can ether walk up corso Vannucci or use the APM service.

From Pellini car park and Piazza Partigiani car park, you can use the escalator whereas Briglie car park has a lift.

The MiniMetro people mover system of Perugia, implemented early 2008, makes travelling easier, improving connecting links between the centre and the suburbs.

Once you get to the centre, you can find the Chiesa di San Michele Arcangelo by walking along Corso Garibaldi or by leaving your car near the tower which hosts the Museo delle Porte e delle Mura urbiche, [the Museum of City Gates and Walls].

Explorez les environs
Les principales attractions dans les environs
Le Cascate del Menotre

Les Cascades du Menotre

Parmi Pale et Belfiore il y a un lieu magique où vous pouvez admirer le fleuve Menotre qui monte avec une successions de sauts et il s’insinue dans des petites gorges, d’ici vous pouvez commencer votre exploration : en descendant on part de Pale, en montée on commence de Belfiore.

Vous avez devant vous un athlétique protagoniste du territoire, qui naît près de la ville d’Orsano et du mont Mareggia – dans la municipalité de Sellano – à environ 800 mètre de hauteur, et dès les premières gouttes creuse son lit parmi des ravins et des roches calcaires, sur un trajet de 30 km.

L’eau fait son chemin dans la vallée qui porte son nom, en passant agile les villages de Rasiglia – où nombreuses sources proches les unes de autres augmentent considérablement sa portée – Casenove, Scopoli, Pale, Belfiore, Vescia, Scanzano, enfin en se jetant dans le Topino.

Une fois passé le quartier de Belfiore, après un rond – point, vous pouvez laisser votre voiture dans une esplanade entourée d’oliviers. D’ici il part un chemin de plus d’un kilomètre, de gravier et plat dans la première section, qui se déroule dans le Parc de l’Atolina et il longe presque tout le cours du fleuve.
Sur le tracé, dans les points d’intérêt naturaliste, c’est possible de stationner dans des espaces dédiés équipés de bancs et de tables, immergés parmi des peupliers et des fougères.

Cachées dans la végétation sortent des petites sculptures en pierre, en souvenir de ce qui était autrefois le jardin d’une famille noble, les Elisei, installée à Pale avec son propre palais depuis le 1268. Sur le chemin vous tombez aussi dans une ancienne construction hydraulique en brique qui émerge du terrain, utilisée pour canaliser l’eau  du fleuve vers les usines construite en aval au cours des siècles.

Le premier retentissant saut du Menotre s’ouvre à la vue soudainement, avec sa scintillante puissance ; après quelques courbes, alors que le chemin devient peu à peu plus raide, un autre en suit qu’il vaut la peine d’admirer plus près le long un petit détour sur la droite : l’eau nerveuse arrive sinueuse parmi les parois d’un ravin en créant un petit lac avec beaucoup de nuances.

Après deux autres sauts comme un super athlète, dont un de ces cache l’accès à une petite grotte, le Menotre donne le meilleur de lui – même à proximité de Pale, avec un spectaculaire et retentissant plongeon d’environ 150 mètres dans la vallée en dessous.
Au – dessous de vous s’ouvrent les maisons et le château de l’ancien bourg niché entre le fleuve et les roches, qui racontent le passé industriel des papeteries dont le Menotre a été le moteur principal. Pensez - vous que la première impression de la Divine Comédie fut réalisée à Foligno en 1422 avec le papier des papeteries de Pale.

Cet itinéraire praticable en une heure environ c’est ouvert presque toute l’année, mais on vous conseille de le visiter au beau milieu du printemps ou en été : la luxuriante végétation et la présence de l’eau rendent la visite très frais et agréable.
Si vous avez du temps on peut visiter dans les environs l’Ermitage de Sainte Marie Jacob et les Grottes de l’Abbadessa. Un petit ancien monde d’eau et de roche qui vous coupera le souffle.

 

En savoir plus:
www.paledifoligno.it 

Bus navetta gratuito du 16 Luglio - 11 Settembre 2022 (sabato, festivi e prefestivi)
consulter INFO and TIME 

Crédit photo: Tommaso Camilloni, Andrea Spaccini et Bernardino Sperandio

Explorez les environs
Les principales attractions dans les environs
La fioritura di Castelluccio di Norcia

LA FLORAISON DE CASTELLUCCIO DI NORCIA

Chaque année, le Pian Grande de Castelluccio de Norcia s'anime avec l'un des plus grands spectacles de la nature au monde.

Entre début juin et fin juillet, il est possible de vivre une expérience multisensorielle inoubliable: coquelicots, bleuets, marguerites, violettes, lentilles, narcisses, gentianes et bien d'autres espèces spontanées créent une merveilleuse mosaïque de beauté colorée et de parfums enivrants.

La petite et délicate fleur blanche aux légers reflets violets est la star de cet enchantement: la lentille.

Appelée "Lénta" par les habitants de Castelluccio, elle est le produit représentatif par excellence du village.

Les agriculteurs de la région, afin de préserver les champs et de ne pas utiliser de pesticides pour la culture, ont toujours permis à d'autres plantes de se développer dans le sol, récoltant ainsi de nombreux avantages.

C'est ainsi qu'en attendant que les lentilles poussent, les plantes sauvages se renouvellent, s'épanouissent et créent un spectacle floral unique.

 

Quand y aller:

Malheureusement, on ne peut que faire une prédiction générale sur le moment de la Floraison, tout dépend du temps de la saison. La neige, la pluie, la température et le soleil sont les véritables artisans du calendrier et pendant quelques semaines seulement, on peut apprécier et savourer la beauté de la floraison, qui produit chaque année des nuances et des fonds colorés uniques et irremplaçables.

La Floraison est aujourd'hui un événement naturel et culturel très apprécié; pour le vivre au mieux, il est conseillé de choisir des jours en milieu de semaine, en évitant les fins de semaine.

Comment y aller:

Si vous ne pouvez pas vous passer de votre propre véhicule, garez-vous aux endroits indiqués, évitez de vous diriger vers le centre du village, puis marchez jusqu'au fleurissement, ce sera une expérience unique. Vous pouvez également louer des vélos électriques en appelant le +39 393 2096641. Le service de vélos électriques vous livrera les vélos à l'endroit souhaité. Il est également possible de louer des chevaux et des mules avec un guide.

Sans oublier que cette année, les 25 et 26 juin et les 2, 3, 9 et 10 juillet 2022, vous ne pourrez pas vous arrêter avec vos propres voitures à Castelluccio.

Le samedi et les jours fériés, il y a un service de navette depuis Norcia avec quatre trajets par jour A/R. Pour les informations et les horaires, voir www.fsbusitalia.it.

Ce qu'il faut faire:

Dans le respect de la nature et de son caractère exceptionnel, pour immortaliser les stupéfiantes floraisons, essayez de rester le long des sentiers proches, en évitant de pénétrer dans les champs cultivés pour ne pas marcher sur les fleurs.

Le plateau de Castelluccio ouvre la porte à des endroits uniques où il est possible de faire un nombre incroyable d'activités: randonnée, trekking également avec des mules, VTT, observation des oiseaux, rufting, deltaplane et parapente.

Les guides, hautement qualifiés, sauront vous accompagner pour découvrir ces lieux incomparables, pour vous plonger dans la tranquillité et l'émerveillement des Monts Sibillini.

Pour plus d'informations:

https://www.castellucciodinorcia.it/

Explorez les environs
Les principales attractions dans les environs

Palazzo Baldeschi al Corso

E’ un’antica residenza nobiliare le cui origini risalgono alla fine del Trecento, completamente affrescata verso la fine dell’Ottocento dall’artista Mariano Piervittori.Al suo interno è custodita la prestigiosa raccolta d’arte della Fondazione Cassa di Risparmio. La collezione permette un percorso a trecentosessanta gradi sull’arte umbra dal Medioevo al Novecento, da Perugino a Gerardo Dottori.

Oltre duecento dipinti tra Perugino, Pintoricchio, Matteo da Gualdo, Signorelli, Cerrini e Dottori.

Altrettanto importante fu l’operazione di acquisire quella che ad oggi è una delle più prestigiose Collezioni di maioliche Rinascimentali in ambito nazionale, una raccolta di 147 pezzi che si può ammirare negli spazi espositivi di Palazzo Baldeschi. Complessivamente, tra i manufatti di epoca Rinascimentale e quelli ottocenteschi, la Fondazione ha un patrimonio ceramistico che si compone di circa 300 opere.

 

Un’altra tappa importante nell’ambito di questo percorso di accrescimento collezionistico è il lascito di circa 775 opere che il collezionista fiorentino Alessandro Marabottini aveva custodito per mezzo secolo nella sua casa di Firenze e che ha donato alla Fondazione Cassa di Risparmio di Perugia, proprietaria della dimora, affinché fossero esposte permanentemente al pubblico.

Periodicamente il palazzo, inoltre, ospita mostre di livello internazionale.

Explorez les environs
Les principales attractions dans les environs
Oratorio di San Bernardino

The Nunziatella Oratory in Foligno

L'Oratorio di San Bernardino rappresenta il massimo esempio di arte rinascimentale a Perugia.

 

Fu eretto nel 1452 sulla sinistra di San Francesco al Prato in onore del santo, che spesso si recava a Perugia per predicare al popolo proprio sul prato davanti alla chiesa francescana.

 

L’elegante facciata policroma a finissimi rilievi è un capolavoro di Agostino di Duccio, scolpita tra il 1457 e il 1461.

Due pilastri laterali, ciascuno con due tabernacoli, sostengono un frontone e chiudono lo spazio mediano, che ha un portale gemino sormontato da una grande lunetta.

A partire da questi elementi architettonici si dispone la decorazione scultorea di Agostino di Duccio, col predominio dei bassorilievi e dei panneggi molto mossi delle figure.

 

Nel timpano si vede Gesù benedicente tra angeli e serafini, sovrastante l'iscrizione AVGVSTA PERVSIA MCCCCLXI. I tabernacoli superiori hanno le statue dell'Arcangelo Gabriele e di Maria annunciata, mentre quelli inferiori i patroni di Perugia, Sant'Ercolano e San Costanzo. La lunetta mostra l'Ascensione di san Bernardino in una mandorla, tra angeli musicanti e cherubini. Sull'architrave del portale e sotto le due nicchie superiori, cinque storie della vita del santo.  Negli stipiti del portale Sei Virtù francescane e Sei gruppi di angeli musicanti.

 

L'interno, invece, è a tre campate di volte gotiche costolonate.

Alla parete destra il Gonfalone di San Francesco al prato di Benedetto Bonfigli.

L'altare maggiore è costruito con un sarcofago cristiano (metà del IV secolo), in cui fu sepolto il beato Egidio dalla fine del XIII secolo al 1887. È del tipo a colonne con al centro Cristo in trono, tra la personificazione dell'Ecclesia e Apostoli; il coperchio è decorato da Scene del Vecchio Testamento, in particolare l'Arca di Noè e Giona.

A sinistra si vede la lastra tombale di fra' Angelo, responsabile dell'erezione dell'oratorio; poco lontano, la Deposizione, copia da Raffaello di Orazio Alfani.

 

Dietro l'altare, due porte immettono nell'oratorio dei Santi Andrea e Bernardino, con splendido soffitto a cassettoni intagliati e decorati (1558). Seggi, stucchi e pitture risalgono al XVIII e XIX secolo, con opere di Gaetano Lapis, Marcello Leopardi, Vincenzo Ferreri.

Nella sagrestia dell'oratorio si trova la Cappella Baldeschi, in cui è custodita la tomba del giureconsulto Bartolo di Sassoferrato, morto nel 1357.

 

 

Fonte: AA.VV., Umbria ("Guida rossa"), Touring Club editore

Explorez les environs
Les principales attractions dans les environs

CIAC, Centro Italiano Arte Contemporanea

Un parallepipedo dal colore ruggine, rivestito in acciao corten, semplice e rigoroso, si presenta nella città di Foligno, in Via del Campanile 13, in rappresentanza del CIAC, Centro Italiano Arte Contemporanea.

Adibito in passato a Centrale del Latte e poi Ufficio Postale, il museo è nato nel 2009 grazie alla Fondazione Cassa di Risparmio di Foligno, come risposta alla crescente ricerca artistica contemporanea nella città, per promuovere e diffondere l’arte italiana contemporanea e internazionale.

L’architettura museale nasce da un'idea Getulio Alviani in collaborazione con l'architetto Zamatti ed è stata successivamente realizzata dall'architetto Partenzi.

Privo di finestre, si sviluppa su tre piani e prende luce da un lucernario centrale posto su pilastri che scandiscono la volumetria degli interni. Le sale espositive sono disposte su due piani. La terrazza ospita opere specific-site. Gli spazi a piano terra sono destinati ad esposizione e a luogo di incontro per eventi culturali, proiezioni, conferenze.

Gli allestimenti avvicinano i nuovi visitatori al contemporaneo, trasmettendo un consumo lento dell’opera d’arte.

A pochi passi dal primo edificio, iconico e marcatamente contemporaneo, ci si può immergere nel secondo polo del CIAC: la settecentesca ex Chiesa della SS. Trinità in Annunziata. Dopo anni di restauri, il complesso è stato inaugurato nel 2011 e adibito a seconda sede museale del CIAC, come museo monografico dedicato al suggestivo capolavoro Calamita Cosmica di Gino De Dominicis. Oltre all’opera, questa sede ospita un comprensivo e rigoroso apparato documentale-didattico relativo all’artista e all’opera e un auditorium con capienza di oltre 80 posti per i seminari e le conferenze organizzati dal Centro.

Oggi il CIAC sviluppa le sue attività in più direzioni: realizzazione di mostre; conservazione e sviluppo di una collezione permanente d’arte contemporanea; produzione di manifestazioni culturali e convegni; servizio educativo rivolto a scuole e a gruppi sociali; attività editoriali e generale sensibilizzazione verso l’arte contemporanea.

Gli orari di apertura per visitare il museo sono dal giovedì alla domenica dalle 10.30 alle 13:00 e dalle 15.30 alle 19.00.

Tariffe: Biglietto Intero: 7,00€

Biglietto Ridotto A: 5,00€ (Gruppi con più di 15 unità, Convenzionati Soci FAI e Soci Touring Club Italiano)

Biglietto Ridotto B: 3,00 € (Bambini dai 7 ai 18 anni)

Gratuito: Bambini fino ai 6 anni, Guide Turistiche, Giornalisti, Portatori di Handicap e loro accompagnatori

Il nuovo museo non dispone di un proprio parcheggio, ma nelle vicinanze se ne possono trovare di diversi: Parcheggio ex Zuccherificio, Parcheggio Plateatico, Parcheggio Via Trasimeno, Parcheggio Cimitero.

Per maggiori informazioni:

https://www.ciacfoligno.it/

Facebook

Explorez les environs
Les principales attractions dans les environs
CAOS Modern and Contemporary Art Museum

CAOS Modern and Contemporary Art Museum "Aurelio de Felice" - Terni

The Museo D'Arte Moderna e Contemporanea "Aurelio De Felice" – CAOS, Centro Arti Opificio SIRI premises were restructured by Terni Municipality to house art collections and exhibitions in the reused space of the former SIRI factory

The first industrial settling in the area was an old Papal Ironwork factory—the Ferriera Pontificia—built in 1793 as per the Apostolic Chamber disposition. At the time of the process of the unification of Italy—1860s—this plant was still the largest factory in Umbria, covering 12,000 square meters and with a labor force of about 200. Closed down in 1905, its premises, consisting of several buildings—warehouses, offices, mineral depots and the housing of the personnel—were reused in 1919 for metalwork and chemical manufacturing production destined prevalently for the armament industry. In 1925, with the guiding ideas of Luigi Casale, and after a series of changes and corporate acquisitions—like IDROS and SISAS, acronym for Società Italiana per l'Ammoniaca Sintetica (Italian Synthetic Ammonia Company)—the enterprise was transformed into SIRI, acronym for Società Italiana Ricerche Industriali (Italian Industrial Research Company).

The main activity of this enterprise was the production of synthetic ammonia and other chemical products. Starting in the 1930s, SIRI concentrated primarily on research, abandoning large production. The activity carried on without interruption until the 1970s, with a progressive slowing down of production until its definitive closure in 1983.

Today, the site hosts works of art dating from the 15th to the 19th century, in the new Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, which is set up with innovative criteria.

They had preivously been exhibited in the  "Omeore Metelli" Municipal Gallery, housed in Palazzo Gazzoli. Among these, the ones of the Italian Renaissance Masters like Piermateo d'Amelia and Benozzo Gozzoli or of local artists like Niccolò Alunno, Giovanni di Pietro, known as Lo Spagna, and Pompeo Cocchi come to the fore.
Collections of works such as the Naive paintings of Orneore Metelli or the sculptures of Aurelio De Felice also have their space in the museum. Visitors can also view works of graphic art by artists like Chagall, Mirò, Leger and Kandinsky. Much space is dedicated to contemporary works of art of artists such as Turcato, Mastroianni, Pomodoro, Severini, Montanarini, Minucchi, Passalacqua, Chung Eun Mo and others.

The entire property was acquired bit by bit from 1997 to 2002 by the Municipality of Terni. Together with the preservation of the access alley and central court, the whole pre-existing complex was recovered and reused for Cultural and Recreational Services, while the entire first floor returned to being living quarters.

Accessibility


For those arriving by car, there is some parking reserved for the disabled are located along Via Giandimartalo Di Vitalone, otherwise it’s possible to use the covered car park of the COOP supermarket, which has an exit directly into the CAOS complex. 
Alternatively, by prior arrangement, it’s possible to drive in from the park’s entrance on the corner between Viale Luigi Campofregoso and Via Giandimartalo Di Vitalone, on the roundabout. Here, within the CAOS space, you can park the car near the ticket office entrance for the duration of the visit. 

The facility can also be reached with the public transportation: the nearest bus stops are located along Viale L. Campofregoso and Via G. Di Vitalone. The building interior is entirely accessible to people with motor difficulties or in a wheelchair, but the entrance of the Museum’s ticket office has a small double step that could create some problems. 

Guide dogs are allowed to enter. There are not audio guides nor is there information in braille or other tactile media.

Information


Viale Campofregoso
05100 - Terni (TR) 
email: info@caos.museum
sito web: www.caos.museum 

 

Fonte Regione Umbria - Servizio Musei e soprintendenza ai beni librari  

Explorez les environs
Les principales attractions dans les environs

Palazzo della Penna

The Palazzo della Penna, formerly known as the Palazzo dei Vibi, located in Perugia between Viale Indipendenza and the Tre Archi, has its entrance in Via Podiani, a side street of Corso Cavour.

The Palazzo della Penna was the prestigious residence of Ascanio della Penna, who kept the famous collection of works of art of Baron Fabrizio della Penna.

A visit to the palace is recommended both to admire the buiding, with interesting stratification of different historical periods, but also to see the collections of Baroque and contemporary art preserved in it.

The sixteenth-century building is set on the remains of the Roman amphitheatre. Along Via Marconi you can see the tower and the medieval walls absorbed into the complex as well as the old farmhouses. The windows on the first floor, with their partially recessed position, declare the succession of the construction phases of the masonry. The building was renovated in the early nineteenth century.

On the first floor are some paintings of the nineteenth century inspired by the Myth of Paris, signed by Antonio Castelletti. Of the same period are the pleasant ideal views inside the room of Landscapes, perhaps the work of Pasquale Angelici. Today the building, used as a museum, houses four important art collections: on the first floor are works of the Academy of Fine Arts of Perugia as well as the painter air-futurist Gerardo Dottori. Use the spiral staircase designed by the famous architect Franco Minissi, to descend to the collection Valentino Martinelli and the large vaulted room that houses the six blackboards made by Joseph Beuys during his visit to Perugia in 1980.

During the year the palace also hosts temporary exhibitions of famous contemporary artists of various nationalities.

The collection of Baron Fabrizio della Penna, sold in 1899, included paintings by Barocci, Bassano, Bellini, Bronzino, Canaletto, Caravaggio, Carracci, Pietro da Cortona, Giorgione, Guercino, Michelangelo, Perugino, Poussin, Raffaello, Reni, Rosa and Signorelli.

Explorez les environs
Les principales attractions dans les environs

LA TORRE di Sol LeWitt a Campello sul Clitunno

Attirato dal vivace clima culturale del Festival dei due Mondi di Spoleto, nell’estate del 1971, l’artista statunitense Sol LeWitt fu invitato dalla gallerista Marilena Bonomo a soggiornare nella città. Fu subito un grande amore, tanto che poco dopo decise  di acquistare una casa, dove si stabilì per lunghi periodi anche con la famiglia. Si instaurò un legame forte, testimoniato anche dalla presenza  di numerose opere realizzate dal 1971 fino a oltre il 2000.

A pochi passi dalle antiche Fonti del Clitunno, spicca solitaria nei Giardini di la Bianca, la struttura monumentale Torre, dedicata alle vittime dell’efferato attentato delle Torri Gemelle di New York e per volontà dell’artista, anche ad un suo amico scomparso, che faceva il farmacista nella piazza del paese. L’opera fu eseguita negli anni 2000 con materiali locali, divenendo uno dei simboli dell’affetto sincero e profondo dell’artista con la città di Spoleto oltre che un capolavoro architettonico contemporaneo immerso nella natura.

Nel corso della sua permanenza, Sol LeWitt ha voluto conoscere le tradizioni artistiche locali, scoprendo e imparando alcune tipiche tecniche artigianali come la ceramica e la lavorazione del legno, da cui è nata una consistente produzione di manufatti a Deruta e la serie di progetti per le Piramidi lignee realizzate a Spoleto.

Ad oggi, dopo la sua morte nel 2007 a New York, il gruppo composito di opere in dono alla città di  Spoleto il capolavoro Wall Drawings 951 al museo di Palazzo Collicola, il Muro nei Giardini di Viale Mariotti, rimangono visibili e aperte al pubblico, ricordando il suo indissolubile e stimolante rapporto con l’Umbria.

La famiglia di LeWitt ha voluto lasciare un’eredità dell’artista a Spoleto, fondando, insieme alla figlia di un’altra scultrice austriaca innamorata della città, Anna Malher, un programma di residenze artistiche, divenuto ad oggi un importante centro creativo.

Explorez les environs
Les principales attractions dans les environs
Le maschere umbre della Commedia dell'Arte

Le Maschere di Carnevale in Umbria

Sono state riscoperte negli ultimi anni, ma le maschere umbre del Carnevale hanno origini molto antiche, che risalgono al lontano Cinquecento.
 

La più famosa maschera perugina, il Bartoccio, è infatti comparsa in un testo per la prima volta esattamente nel 1521 e quindi ha compiuto ormai i suoi primi 500 anni! 

Un gilet rosso porpora sotto una giacca verde e cappello “en pendant”, calzoni di velluto neri o marroni, scarpe eleganti e un nasone importante, segno di una grande personalità. Intelligente, saggio, coraggioso e un po’ “brontolone”, sempre pronto a dire una delle sue “bartocciate”.

Questa maschera rappresenta il classico villano burlesco, benestante ma rozzo, molto conviviale e con uno spiccato accento dialettale. Appartenente alla Commedia seicentesca dell’Arte, proviene dal mondo rurale, nello specifico dal Pian del Tevere, ossia dal territorio compreso tra San Martino in Campo e Torgiano, un’area molto fertile già nel ‘600.

Ogni anno a Carnevale entra trionfalmente a Perugia da Porta San Pietro, insieme a sua moglie Rosa, a bordo di un carro addobbato trainato da buoi che sfila lungo Corso Vannucci; sul carro suona, balla e canta osservando quello che accade nel mondo cittadino e gettando in mezzo alla folla fogli con le sue bartocciate, satire e attacchi politici su tasse, governo, debiti, soprusi dei potenti, vizi di società e politica.

Chi è morto? Nasotorto! E chi lo ha accompagnato? Nasoacciaccato! E chi suona la campanella? Chicchirichella!

Da questa filastrocca del ‘500, sono nate le quattro maschere della Commedia dell’Arte grazie all’iniziativa e alla creatività dell’artista Oliverio Piacenti di Avigliano Umbro che ascoltava fin da bambino questi versi ripetuti da sua madre. A Nasotorto, Nasoacciaccato e Chicchirichella decise di accompagnare un’altra figura di carattere: Rosalinda, ispirata a una persona realmente esistita ad Avigliano, nel rione di Pian dell’Ara.

In effetti queste maschere rappresentano i 4 rioni del borgo umbro: Nasoacciaccato è nato nel rione Sant’Egidio, Chicchirichella è del rione Castelluzzo, mentre Nasotorto viene da Madonna delle Grazie – e Rosalinda è di Pian dell’Ara, appunto. Ma queste figure, che sono state riconosciute ufficialmente come maschere umbre della Commedia dell’Arte nel 2015, hanno elementi di condivisione con tanti comuni vicini per la genealogia, per il dialetto e i modi di dire, per la gastronomia e le produzioni tipiche, così da essere rappresentative di un’ampia area della regione. 

Nasoacciaccato è un po’ un eroe “azzeccagarbugli”: nullatenente, nullafacente ma anche tuttofare. Talvolta litigioso, è sicuramente uno spirito libero, furbetto e affabulatore. Lo riconoscerete perché non si separa mai dal suo bastone, dove tiene appeso il suo fagotto, tipico grande fazzoletto da contadino a quadri scuri, dove racchiude tutti i suoi averi. Lo troverete alla ricerca di qualcuno da imbrogliare o magari a vagabondare con il suo amico e rivale in amore Chicchirichella. 

Una piuma infilata nel cappello per scrivere la sua musica proprio quando l’ispirazione lo sorprende. Esuberante, creativo, eccentrico e divertente, ma talmente pigro che non riesce a sfruttare appieno le sue qualità e il suo potenziale: Chicchirichella è un vero Peter Pan made in Umbria, incapace di prendersi responsabilità fino in fondo, ma sicuramente abile nel dilettarci con il suo inseparabile liuto e il suo canto mattutino.

A dividere i due amici-rivali c’è Rosalinda, archetipo delle principesse. Se la incontraste per la strada, potreste innamorarvi perdutamente di lei. Scaltra, libera, sensibile, nei suoi abiti azzurri è ammaliante e il suo fascino diventa ancor più grande quando prende il suo piccolo ventaglio e si fa vento, magari nei momenti d’imbarazzo. Va pazza per la nociata ed è eternamente indecisa tra i suoi pretendenti, Chicchirichella e Nasoacciaccato, mentre aspetta l’eredità di Nasotorto, suo lontano parente. 

Quest’ultimo infatti è ricco, anzi molto ricco! Ma pare sia talmente avaro da rinunciare perfino a riscaldarsi e così se ne va in giro sempre raffreddato, senza separarsi mai dal suo cappello di lana nero con nappa e dal suo gran fazzoletto di pizzo bianco. Ipocondriaco, talvolta machiavellico e pure un po’ asociale, Nasotorto di certo non è uno di grande compagnia: se siete ingenui, se ne approfitta; se siete bugiardi, non vi si fila; se si avvicina, c’entrano i soldi. Denari che amministra così bene, da custodirli gelosamente nella borsetta che porta sempre con sé. Se pur rappresenta l’autorità e le consuetudini sociali che forse meno amiamo, per noi resta sempre molto simpatico: forse non lo sapete ma ha un grande pregio… non sa resistere al Cicotto di Grutti!

Explorez les environs
Les principales attractions dans les environs
Nobile Collegio del Cambio - Perugia

Nobile Collegio del Cambio - Perugia

Built between 1452 and 1457 within the new wing of the Priori Palace, it was home for the guild of the currency changers. 


From the Legisti Hall, with a court on the end wall and side wooden stalls carved and inlaid by Gian Pietro Zuccari, leads into the Audience Hall, designed for meetings and reception of the public.

On half of the right wall there are the courts and counters executed by Domenico Tasso, whereas the walls host a fresco cycle painted by Pietro Vannucci, called Perugino, between 1498 and 1500.

Inspired by the iconographic programme of Francesco Maturanzio, a humanist from Perugia, it represents mythological figures (on the vault), famous characters of the Greek and Roman history, liberal Arts, Sibyls and prophets (on the right and left walls), the Transfiguration of Christ and the Nativity (end wall).

From here one goes to the chapel of St. John the Baptist, with frescoes by Giannicola di Paolo.

 

Explorez les environs
Les principales attractions dans les environs
National Gallery of Umbria

National Gallery of Umbria - Perugia

The Galleria Nazionale dell'Umbria is hosted in the upper floors of Palazzo dei Priori, with the entrance in Corso Vannucci. 

Born from the original nucleus of works from the local Academy of Fine Arts of Perugia—second half of the 16th century—the collection grew significantly between the end of the 1700s and the first half of the 1800s, and later was further enriched as a consequence of the suppression of the religious orders by the Unitarian State.

The current Museum arrangement, inaugurated in December 2006, occupies a surface of 4,000 square meters distributed on two levels. The prestigious collection, chronologically ordered, includes a wide variety of works, which range from paintings on wooden panels, canvases and frescoes, to sculptures in wood and marble, to goldsmiths and fabrics, all highly representative of Italian artistic production between the 13th and 19th century.

Among the masterpieces of the medieval and Renaissance periods, the works of Arnolfo di Cambio, Nicola and Giovanni Pisano, Duccio di Boninsegna, Gentile Da Fabriano, Beato Angelico, Benozzo Gozzoli, Piero della Francesca and Francesco di Giorgio Martini stand out. Much space is given to Umbrian painters such as Benedetto Bonfigli, Bartolomeo Caporali and Fiorenzo di Lorenzo, and in particular to the renowned paintings of Perugino, Pintoricchio and their pupils and followers.

Some sections are dedicated to the masterpieces of the Sienese goldsmiths and to the traditional "Perugian tablecloth", to the production of ceramics and floor tiles of the 15th and 16th centuries and to the collection of drawings, among them a precious sanguine and ink sketch by Federico Barocci.

The display path continues with painting and sculptural evidence from the 1600s, 1700s and 1800s, among them the works of Pietro da Cortona, Orazio Gentileschi, Francesco Trevisani and Sebastiano Conca, and concludes with the thematic exhibitions dedicated to 19th century Perugian topography and the Carattoli Collection

Accessibility


For those using their own vehicle, there are no disabled parking spaces in the proximity of the facility. The nearest ones are located at the two ends of Corso Vannucci: to the south, in Piazza Italia, about 200 m far away and to the north, in Piazza Piccinino, about 150 m from the Gallery. 

If the reserved lots are occupied it’s possible to park for free also in the lots marked by blue stripes. All the area is within the ZTL (LIMITED TRAFFIC ZONE), therefore it’s necessary to send an email to infositu@comune.perugia.it, specifying the day of the transit and the plate of the car, attaching a copy of the coupon for disabled; all this in the previous days or within 72 hours after the transit.

The Umbrian National Gallery can also be reached by public transport: the nearest bus stop is in Piazza Italia. Instead, for those who choose to use the Minimetrò, also accessible to disabled people, the right stop is the terminal “Pincetto”. The facility can be visited by people with motor difficulties or who need a wheelchair; for this reason, a wheelchair is available to visit the Gallery, that is also equipped with a defibrillator in case of necessity. 

Guide dogs are allowed to facilitate the visit by people with impaired sight and blind; in addition to the possibility to rent audio guides, at the beginning and at the end of the exhibition itinerary there are panels with Braille and raised captions. By sending an email to gan-umb@beniculturali.it it’s possible to request a more specific guided visit with specialized operators trained for the purpose. 

Information

OPENING HOURS: Open 8.30-19.30 from Tuesday to Sunday (last entry at 18.30).

Corso Vannucci
06121 - Perugia (PG)
email: gallerianazionaleumbria@beniculturali.it
sito web: https://gallerianazionaledellumbria.it/ 

 

 

Fonte Regione Umbria - Servizio Musei e soprintendenza ai beni librari 

Explorez les environs
Les principales attractions dans les environs

Giardini del Frontone

I Giardini del Frontone sono un’area verde storica di Perugia, situata nel quartiere di Borgo XX Giugno o Borgo Bello, adiacente alla Basilica di San Pietro.

Il parco è costituito da quattro viali paralleli, che confluiscono in un anfiteatro, adornati da alberi secolari, simbolo dell’antichità e dell’importanza del luogo.

Da piazza d’arma a piazza d’amore

Oggi è diventato uno spazio di incontro, sede di concerti, manifestazioni e rassegne cinematografiche, ma in un tempo precedente, intorno all’XIII secolo, il luogo è stato il centro di una delle più grandi passioni perugine, il gioco popolare della sassaiola: un’attività ludica di battaglia tra cittadini con dei veri e propri sassi. Successivamente da piazza d’arma per le esercitazioni militari, sotto Braccio Fortebraccio, divenne piazza d’amore con Braccio Baglioni. Nel XV secolo i divertimenti cambiarono, i giochi bellicosi vennero sostituiti da nuovi passatempi, come la corsa al palio, i tornei e numerose feste.

Il paradiso dell’Arcadia

Dopo la morte del Magnifico Baglioni, l’area fu abbandonata. Solo con all’arrivo a Perugia dell’Accademia dell’Arcadia, agli inizi del Settecento, il luogo riprese vita: il movimento letterario che si opponeva al cattivo gusto barocco della letteratura italiana di quel periodo, creò la Colonia Arcadica Augusta e trasformò i giardini in un luogo di cultura.

Il parco cambiò la sua funzione, divenendo sede di iniziative culturali e letture poetiche estive, insieme al suo aspetto, rimasto lo stesso di oggi: i letterati sostituirono i gradoni di terra con gli attuali sedili di travertino, piantarono lecci secolari, siepi e costruirono un primo recinto murario.

Venne eretto l’Arco di travertino, disegnato da Baldassarre Orsini, collocandolo proprio al centro dell'Anfiteatro, realizzato dall’architetto Vincenzo Ciofi.

A metà Novecento, a completamento dell’opera, vennero aggiunte sei statue in pietra di muse, disegnate dalla scultrice ungherese Livia De Kuzmik, in rappresentanza delle arti: pittura, poesia, architettura, scultura, teatro, musica.

Explorez les environs
Les principales attractions dans les environs
The Abbey of Saint Peter

Abbazia di San Pietro [The Abbey of Saint Peter]

The Abbey of Saint Peter, which is part of the 15th century expansion of the city walls, is located opposite the Giardini  Frontone in Perugia, at the end of Borgo XX Giugno, outside the Porta San Pietro and was once the most powerful Benedictine monastery in Umbria. It was founded in the 10th century and was the first seat of the Bishop of Perugia.

 

Description

The Abbey of San Pietro has preserved its original architecture, with numerous structural works having taken place between the 15th and 17th centuries.

To enter the church you have to cross a beautiful courtyard surrounded on all four sides by a portico with travertine columns topped with Doric capitals, produced in 1614 by Valentino Martelli, which completely covered the church facade. The mighty bell tower, which is dodecagonal until it reaches line of corbels, then becomes hexagonal with high mullioned windows and ends with a slender spire. Designed by Bernardo Rossellino, the lower half was built in the 13th century and the top half was built in the 15th century. 

The entrance to the church is characterised by a rich 16th century portal made from  white marble topped with a lunette on which there is a fresco depicting the Madonna e due angeli by Giannicola di Paolo. Next to the portal are some frescoes by the artist which have been brought back to life, ones which belonged to the original facade.

The interior presents a unique fusion of medieval architecture and decorative late mannerist work.

The church has a basilica-style layout with three naves divided by columns with Ionic capitals of the late imperial period, and in its nave it has large paintings depicting scenes from the Old and New Testament written by l'Aliense (1592-94), which are framed in a fresco decoration that creates space between the paintings, arches and underarches, and continues even in the aisles. The altar consists of columns, pillars, recesses and domes made from rare polychrome marbles.

The  right nave depicts characters linked to the church such as San Pietro Vincioli, San Benedetto, Santa Scolastica, San Mauro and San Gregorio Magno.

Along the wall are also the Cappella di San Giuseppe chapel, decorated in 1855 by Domenico Bruschi, and the Capella delle Reliquie chapel, with a wrought iron gate and 16th century stucco and frescoes by Benedetto Bandiera. On either side of the entrance to the presbytery are two paintings by Giovanni Domenico Cerrini (Mary nursing the Child and Saint John the Baptist). Inside the presbytery are the wooden choir stalls (dating from 1525-1535), which are among the most beautiful in Italy.

The sacristy, built in 1451, is home to frescoes on its ceiling; it has The Old Testament Stories, which is perhaps by a Flemish master, while on the walls is Stories from the Lives of Saints Peter and Paul by Vincenzo Danti, a Michelangelo style artist, and 5 small paintings by Perugino with images of saints for the Feast of Ascension, requisitioned by the French and today in Lyon.

Along the walls of the left nave are notable works such as Pietà, part of the broken altarpiece for Sant'Agostino from the church of Sant'Agostino by Pietro Perugino. In the Vibi chapel notable works include the marble Dossale of the Young Jesus, the Baptist, and Saint Girolamo attributed to Mino da Fiesole (dating from 1453), Annunciation by Giovan Battista Caporali and Visitation by Stefano Ciburri (dating from 1530). Next is the Ranieri chapel with a ceiling decorated with paintings by Annibale Brugnoli (XIX) over a work by Caporali. The Sacramento chapel has instead a ceiling decorated by Francesco Appiani and Pietro Carattoli. On the altar is a picture of the Madonna of Giglio from the 14th century in the centre of a painting depicting Saints Peter and Paul by Jean Baptiste Wicar (19th century).

On the opposite wall is a large painting from the end of the 16th century with the Triumpth of the Benedictine Order

Upon leaving the church, pasing through the first cloister, which has already been mentioned, take the corridor leading to the second cloister set on three floors with a well in the centre. Still ahead is the old refectory with a sink in glazed terracotta depicting the Samaritan at the well work from the 15th century by Benedetto Buglione. A third cloister also known as ‘cloister of the stars' is the work of Galeazzo Alessi.

 

Curiosity

In the monks' former fish farm there is a medieval garden which is an interesting symbol of the garden of yesteryear. Nearby is the botanical garden, which also contains an Alpine garden, a Zen garden and a pond with shade-loving plants. Today the botanical garden plays an important role in teaching visitors about interacting with nature and the environment.

 


Useful information

The church is located in the southern part of the city and is easily accessible on foot; visitors can leave their cars in the car parks surrounding the historical centre.

Explorez les environs
Les principales attractions dans les environs

Studio Moretti-Caselli

La sapienza artigiana di ben cinque generazioni si è tramandata e consolidata nel centro storico di Perugia per creare capolavori artistici su vetro riconosciuti a livello nazionale e internazionale.

A farne da testimonianza è il Museo-Laboratorio Moretti-Caselli: una scoperta nei segreti della pittura su vetro.

La storia di una famiglia d’arte

Tutto inizia nel lontano 1859 quando Francesco Moretti, dopo aver frequentato l’Accademia delle Belle Arti di Perugia, fu chiamato a restaurare la vetrata presso il duomo di Maria Santissima Annunziata a Todi. Spinto da una viva curiosità per questa forma d’arte, cercando un posto per lavorare al meglio delle sue possibilità, riuscì ad acquistare nel 1861 dalla Libera Università di Perugia, l’edificio in pietra in Via Fatebenefratelli, sede attuale dello studio. Ristrutturato internamente ed esternamente, al piano terra fu collocato lo studio-laboratorio, riservando al piano superiore l’abitazione familiare.

In questo luogo, l’antica arte riuscì a prendere forma e fu trasmessa alle generazioni successive, ricercando e sperimentando diverse tecniche di lavorazione, dalla composizione dei pigmenti, alla produzione di immagini, fino alla piombatura e cottura del vetro per realizzare sorprendenti vetrate artistiche famose in tutto il mondo. 

Tra gli importanti lavori eseguiti dai maestri vetrai della famiglia, non possiamo fare a meno di ricordare il capolavoro del Ritratto di Margherita di Savoia, realizzato da Francesco Moretti nel 1881. Una vetrata frutto di un lavoro meticoloso e innovativo, utilizzando una pittura magistrale, riuscendo a conferire una dimensione tridimensionale a dei semplici tasselli di vetro, assemblati da un piombo impercettibile, dando forma ad una vera opera d’arte e soprattutto superando i canoni medievali delle vetrate del tempo, in nome di una spinta artistica in chiave rinascimentale.

Oltre le innumerevoli vetrate presenti nei più importanti luoghi spirituali e d’importanza storica dell’Umbria, come il Duomo di Perugia, Cattedrale di San Lorenzo, il Duomo di Orvieto, Chiesa di S.Maria a Todi, Palazzo Gallenga, Basilica di Santa Maria degli Angeli, Chiesa di S. Croce di Bastia Umbra, Basilica Inferiore di San Francesco d’Assisi, Castello dell’Oscano, la Galleria Nazionale dell’Umbria, la magia pittorica in vetro di questa famiglia è arrivata fino in California.

Un committente americano, a metà del Novecento, commissionò l’esecuzione della vetrata raffigurante il capolavoro di Leonardo Da Vinci, l’Ultima cena, che venne realizzata, tra il 1925 e il 1930, da Rosa Moretti Caselli e Cecilia Caselli, ancora presente nel cimitero di Glendale a Los Angeles.

Una magia pittorica in vetro esposta nel centro di Perugia

Da Francesco Moretti (Perugia, 1833-1917), al nipote Lodovico Caselli (Perugia, 1859- 1922), alle figlie Rosa Moretti Caselli (Perugia, 1896 – 1989) e Cecilia Caselli (Perugia 1905 – 1996), fino alla pronipote Anna Matilde Falsettini (Perugia, 1948) e a sua figlia Maddalena Forenza (Perugia, 1980), questo patrimonio artistico ancora vive esattamente dove è nato, custodendo e trasmettendo l’antica arte.

Conservando l’aspetto quattrocentesco e gli affreschi d’epoca restaurati da Francesco Moretti, all’interno del meraviglioso studio, si possono ammirare fotografie, bozzetti e disegni delle vetrate eseguite, accanto a oggetti d’arte che testimoniano l’amore dei proprietari per l’antico e i loro molteplici interessi culturali, quali la musica e la fotografia. Fino ad arrivare agli strumenti, le fornaci e i colori del laboratorio vero e proprio, grazie ai quali, oggi come allora, prendono vita le splendide vetrate dipinte.

Lo studio è aperto al pubblico, visitabile tutti i giorni contattando il tel. 3407665594 o scrivendo una mail all’indirizzo info@studiomoretticaselli.it. Tutti i Martedì e Mercoledì dalle 10 alle 13 anche senza appuntamento con un ultimo ingresso alle 12.30.

Ai visitatori è richiesto un contributo per il mantenimento del Museo.

Per maggiori informazioni: 

https://www.studiomoretticaselli.it/

Explorez les environs
Les principales attractions dans les environs
Eremo delle Carceri

Eremo delle Carceri, Assisi

An ancient hermitage set within the thick woodland of mount Subasio, 4 km from Assisi, the Eremo delle Carceri (alt. 791 m) developed over centuries around the mountain's natural caves and the chapel of Santa Maria, where Saint Francis and his first companions settled in isolation to lead of life of austerity and more intense prayer (they 'imprisoned' themselves; the Italian word for prison is carcere).   
Frequented only sporadically by the Saint himself, the Eremo delle Carceri became a more permanently settled spot from 1205-1206, when it was decided to carry out one of the five annual fasts that he had the habit of practising.
 
According to tradition, in 1215 Saint Francis received the Hermitage of mount Subasio as a gift from the Benedictines. 
Between 1217 and 1221, Saint Francis wrote the 'Rules of life in hermitages', a code of behaviour to be observed by monks wishing to retreat in silence and peace. 
From 1378, first with Friar Paoluccio Trinci, who started the Osservanza movement, then with his follower Saint Bernardino of Siena (1380-1444), the first improvements of the sanctuary were made, with the construction of a humble dormitory, a refectory and the small church nearby. 
The altar of the 15th century church has a  Crucifixion from the 15th century Umbria-Siena school. There is an interesting small stained glass window of French origin on the back wall (14th century); opposite is a cabinet with mementos of the saint. An iron gate leads to the early church, where on the altar you can see the cross that the saint wore when he was evangelising; behind is a fresco with  Madonna with Child and Saint Francis, attributed to Tiberio d'Assisi (early 16th century).
An interesting walk through the woods starts with the bronze statue by Vincenzo Rosignoli,  San Francis liberating the doves  (1882), and leads to an extremely old oak tree on which the birds are said to have gathered to be blessed by Francis. 
The path takes you to Beato Leone grotto; the grottoes of the saint's other companions are past the stream. Further on are the grottoes of San Masseo and Beato Rufino.
Today the community of monks residing in the sanctuary welcome all those who wish to join the Franciscan experience in full respect of the Rule of life in the Hermitages.
Explorez les environs
Les principales attractions dans les environs

Duomo - Nocera Umbra

It’s the main church of Nocera and until 1986 was the Mother Church of the former Dioceses of Nocera and Gualdo.
It has undergone several restorations. Built on the top of the hill, it probably replaced a sacred pagan site by one of Christian worship: perhaps that was the original place hosting the temple devoted to the Goddess Favonia, from which derived the Tribe of the Nucerini Favonienses who lived together with the Nucerini Camellani (came here from Camerino) during the Umbrian and Roman epochs. The two tribes are mentioned by Pliny (NH.
III, 113). In the 5th century, when the Nocera diocese was established, the temple was transformed into a church and devoted to Mary.
One of the traces of another restoration, that took place around the 10th century, is the Romanesque portal located at the side entrance of the church, placed at the top of Via S. Rinaldo and enriched with a decoration in carved stonework of grape varieties and animals in the band of the archway. Another very probable earlier piece of this cathedral is a massive cross in stone containing a hollowed cross that is preserved in the Diocesan Museum. After the destruction of Nocera by Federico II in 1248, the church was abandoned and only in 1448 it was rebuilt on its ancient foundations. 
The architecture had only one nave, with a roof of arches and girders according to the Franciscan style (the same style is currently visible in the Church of St. Francis). The stone decorations of the main façade are a modern restoration dating back to 1925 (as described by the plaque on the wall).
Entering from the secondary door (on via Rinaldo) there is a big nave with a semicircular apse. The restoration dates back to the start of the 19th century, in neoclassical style with columns, pilasters and vaults made of processed plaster.
[Source: www.nocerainumbria.it]
 
Explorez les environs
Les principales attractions dans les environs

Spello, one of the most beautiful towns in Italy

Spello, nestled on the southern flank of Mount Subasio, between Assisi and Foligno, is part of the club of "The Most Beautiful Villages of Italy" due to its significant environmental, cultural and artistic heritage.
The ancient town centre of Umbrian origin, "Hispellum" from the first century BC, was an important Roman town given the title " Splendidissima Colonia Julia". There is important and impressive evidence of the Roman period which coexists beautifully with today's medieval urban appearance.
The itinerary for your visit starts in the lower part of the town. You will enter into the heart of the town through the monumental Consular gate (first century BC), given this name because it marked the entrance to the city from Via Flaminia; follow what was once the route of the old uphill road and let yourself be captivated by the coexistence of isolated Roman structures, to your right, and the medieval urbanization that you can admire on the left; continue until you get to the open space that houses the church of Santa Maria Maggiore.
Enter the church and approach the left side of the nave where you will find the Baglioni Chapel, frescoed in 1501 by Bernardino di Betto, known as Pinturicchio, one of the greatest artists of the Umbrian and Italian renaissance. When standing in front of the frescoes we recommend that you take all the time necessary to discover the many juicy details with which the imaginative artist, among precious grotesques, depicted Sibille enthroned on the vault, the Annunciation on the left wall (of particular interest is a frame with a self-portrait signed by the artist) and on the back wall the Adoration of the Shepherds and the arrival of the Magi with views of the Umbrian countryside; on the right there is Dispute in the Temple.  
The large panel with Madonna and Saints (1508) housed in the thirteenth century church of Sant'Andrea, a Franciscan church in the town and within walking distance of Santa Maria Maggiore, is also by Pinturicchio. Carrying on up the hill, we recommend a small detour along Via Torri di Properzio to admire the monumental Venere gate, from the Augustan age, built in the shape of a triumphal arch, flanked by the two Properzio towers with a dodecagonal plan.

Returning to the main road, continue uphill towards Piazza della Repubblica square, where the Town Hall is located, allowing yourself to be tempted by the shops selling local produce and crafts, as well as the numerous art shops. Here, along both sides of the street, you will find numerous taverns, restaurants and wine bars where you can enjoy local cuisine and produce.
Next we head to the Belvedere, an ancient terrace on which the Roman forum was built; here you can enjoy views of the Topino valley and hilly arc that stretches from Montefalco to Assisi.
Get lost in the narrow medieval streets adorned with colourful flower-filled balconies, which, on the day of Corpus Christi, are joined by precious carpets of flowers, for the famous Flower Festival of Spello; authentic works of sacred art made with flower petals.
Visit the ancient Villa dei Mosaici museum, a Roman villa in the Sant'Anna area, where you can see 360 square metres of mosaic floors that have recently been restored and are dated between the third and early fourth century AC.
If you still have some time left we recommend a walk in the gardens of Villa Fidelia park, or a little relaxation in the Spello Franciscan Spa, where you can enjoy the benefits of the sulphur waters that flow in the plain below
Explorez les environs
Les principales attractions dans les environs
Monte Subasio Park

Monte Subasio Park

Monte Subasio Park is steeped in the history of St. Francis, not just because it encompasses the historical centre of his native town, Assisi, but also because of the nature from which the Saint drew inspiration for his love of all creation: the olive groves that thrive on its lower slopes lead visitors upwards through dense woods of oak to the wide open fields and pasture land that characterise its summit. 

It is here, on a slope, nestled in a wood of centuries-old trees, that you'll find the Eremo delle Carceri, one of the most sacred of Franciscan destinations.

 

The pink stone used since ancient times to build abbeys, churches and small fortified hamlets, not to mention the Eremo and the old centre of Assisi, comes from Mt. Subasio, the mountain most closely tied in with the history of St. Francis.
As the sun sets, the stone takes on a remarkable amber hue that envelopes the entire city, countryside and the surrounding landscape, exalting its ascetic dimension.

The Park also encompasses the towns of Spello,  Nocera Umbra and the  Valtopina valley.
Of the many landmarks in the two cities, the Church of Santa Maria Maggiore, with its magnificent frescoes by Pinturicchio, and the  church of San Francesco are especially worthy of note. The latter bears witness to the cult surrounding the saint, who often sojourned in Nocera Umbra during his frequent peregrinations and is where, according to reliable biographical sources, he performed several miracles.

Hiking is facilitated here by a well-planned network of trails. The mule tracks and dirt roads are ideal for horseback riding and outings on mountain bikes. If you are interested in exploring places tied to the cult of the saint, we suggest you walk along the Via di Francesco.
The special geo-morphological characteristics and currents make Monte Subasio the ideal place for paragliding and gliding, and it is also very popular with kite enthusiasts

Explorez les environs
Les principales attractions dans les environs

Chiesa di San Claudio

The church of St. Claude is located outside the town, along the road between Spello and Villa Fidelia.
The building in Romanesque style of the 12th century stands on the remains of a Roman baths. It was one of the possessions of the Abbey of St. Silvester in Collepino and in the 14th century management of the church passed on to the Spello municipality.
Between the 14th and the 15th century it was a destination of pilgrimages, and important fairs took place in the area in front of the façade.
For this reason, some arcades were built against the external walls of the church and later destroyed.
The façade, in white limestone, presents a bell gable, rebuilt in the 16th century with two overlapping mullioned windows. Below them was the central rose window destroyed by the earthquake of 1832 and reconstructed in 1883. There are two mullioned windows on the sides of the rose window. Three portals (the side ones are closed) gave access to central nave and side aisles divided on the inside by pillars on the left and by columns on the right.
The original truss ceiling was replaced in the 14th century by three deep arches made of masonry; progressively lowering, they give the illusion of a more depth to the central aisle. The altar is made up of a pillar and a lid of a Roman sarcophagus. The semicircular apse and the central nave are decorated with frescoes of Umbrian school of the 15th century.
In 1393 the whole presbyterial area was painted by the Orvieto artist Cola di Petruccioli, and we can still admire St. Andrew Apostle, a Virgin and Child and the Archangel Gabriel, St. Rufino and St. Lawrence. In the central aisle a fresco attributable to Giovanni di Corraduccio (15th century), the Virgin and Child, St.Anthony Abbot and St. James.
Explorez les environs
Les principales attractions dans les environs