Castle of Fabro

map thumbnail

Tourist information and welcome office
Piazza Duomo 24 - 05018 Orvieto
The castle of Fabro, part of the municipal territory of Fabro, rises up on a panoramic hill (d. 364) to the east of the Chiani River.
The matrix fortified with characteristic almond shape, was founded around the one thousand year and restored in the 15th century and again in the 16th century. The sixteenth design intervention is by Antonio da Sangallo the Younger (Florence 1484-Terni 1564). The complex, now privately owned, shows a structure still largely integrated with powerful and compact walls and large cylindrical tower. The castle was a fief of the Filippeschi from its foundation until 1313; then it passed to the Monaldeschi and in 1488 to Cesario Bandini of Città della Pieve. In 1494 their heirs were forced out because of power struggles with the city of Orvieto. It later became a fief of great importance to the Papal States. In the 17th century, the town became a municipality with its own Statutes and in 1817 it belonged to the Antinori Marquise. Because of the destruction of municipal archive, preserved in the Town Hall of the town, they have gone lost most of the historical memories of the castle.