Città di Castello

Abbazia Badia Petroia

map thumbnail


Tourist information and welcome office
Corso Cavour 5 - 06012 Città di Castello
info@iat.citta-di-castello.pg.it
The Benedictine Abbey is situated on a hill overlooking the valley of the Nestore river, about 16 km south of Città di Castello.
Around 960 it was founded by Marquis Ugo del Colle. During the 15th and 16th centuries it was considerablly changed. It was gradually left by the abbots as they moved to the city. The Romanesque church was deprived of a nave and the residential part degraded to other uses. In 1917 the earthquake left the central space of the early church without a roof, so today it can be confused with an interior courtyard. The crypt has its original tripartite system and presents different reuse materials in the support elements of the roof. Embedded in the facade of the church are valuable terracotta tiles made between the 10th and 11th centuries.