Tuoro sul Trasimeno
The first large-scale historical event was the "Battle of Trasimeno" on 24 June 217 AD when Hannibal's Carthaginian army annihilated the Roman army. During the Middle Ages the town was subjugated to the typical vicissitudes and struggles to conquer such a strategic position on the border between Perugia and Tuscany. In the 16th century it was included in the Papal States as an important post and customs station, and enjoyed a long period of peace.
ART, CULTURE, ENVIRONMENT
In the typical medieval centre of town can be seen the Palazzo della Capra and the church of Santa Maria Maddalena. In the vicinity, on the lakeside at Lido di Tuoro, in the locality called Punta Navaccia, exists an interesting outdoor art gallery, Campo del Sole (Field of the Sun), featuring 27 large sculptured columns in sandstone done by famous Italian and foreign artists: the works of art are positioned in a spiral around a centre table surmounted by a symbol of the sun, and look like modern totem poles. Also of interest is Castel Ranieri, a castle belonging to the Montemelino family that enjoys a beautiful view of the lake; and the Pieve di Confine, a parish church built in the 12th century just a few kilometres from the town. Isola Maggiore, the largest island on the lake, is part of the municipality and of interest is the Romanesque church of San Salvatore from the 12th century; the church of San Michele Arcangelo from the 14th century; and Castello Guglielmi, castle erected in 1891 on the ruins of the convent of San Francesco. The "Battle of Trasimeno" took place between the Roman and Carthaginian armies in 217 AD and the historical itinerary offers an impressive reconstruction of the most important phases of Hannibal's rout of the Romans. A guided tour takes in the nearby archaeological excavations, including the "Ustrina", large limestone pits that Hannibal had dug to burn the bodies of the soldiers killed in battle.
In the surrounding area