Faith Itineraries

The journey made by his Holiness Pope Gregory XVI in 1841

Let's follow the route chosen by Gregory XVI, exploring places steeped in history and spirituality

map thumbnail

Tourist information and welcome office
Via Cassian Bon, 4 - 05100 Terni
Tourist information and welcome office
Piazza della Libertà 7 - 06049 Spoleto
"Nutriva antico desiderio di muoversi……il fervore cresceva pensando Egli che avrebbe visitato altri Santuari". Siamo sulle orme di Papa Gregorio XIV che nel 1841 transitò in Umbria, per raggiungere Loreto. Giungi a Narni e vai nella Cattedrale di San Giovenale,  primo vescovo e patrono della città. 

"He harboured a longstanding desire to travel...his fervour grew thinking he might visit other sanctuaries". We are following in the footsteps of Pope Gregory XIV who, in 1841 travelled through Umbria, to reach Loreto. Arriving in Narni, head to the Cattedrale di San Giovenale, named after the first bishop and patron saint of the town. Enjoy a walk through the town's streets, which at the time of the Pope's journey were filled with silk banners and hand-embroidered tapestries. Head for TERNI and once there, visit the Cattedrale di Santa Maria Assunta which was built on the remains of a building dating back to the mid-6th century, on the wishes of the bishop S. Anastasio. Although you won't have a carriage, head towards the former Augustinian convent of San Pietro where the Holy Father stayed. You can visit the monastero  delle "scalze in S. Teresa", just outside the town.  Head towards Spoleto, stopping off first at the church of S. Filippo Neri,   building of which began in 1640, following the designs of local architect Loreto Scelli.   Reaching the Cattedrale di Santa Maria Assunta, head towards the cappella della Santissima icona (Chapel of the holy icon), a Byzantine work from the XI-XII century, donated in 1185 by the Emperor Frederick Barbarossa as a sign of peace. Leaving the Cathedral, head towards the Arco di Druso, (Arch of Drusus) in the area surrounding Piazza del Mercato, which was erected on the Spoleto senate's initiative, in the year 23 A.D., in honour of the princes Drusus and Germanicus. In the complex of the former caserma Minervio (Minervio Barracks), together with the amphitheatre and the Church of Santi Stefano e Tommaso, visit the former Monastero della Stella, and the remains of its beautiful cloister with a double row of loggias. Returning towards the upper part of the town, take a moment to admire the beautiful Palazzo Pianciani, an aristocratic residence in a neo-classical style, today home to the Banca Popolare di Spoleto that lies in an area that has been urbanised  since Roman times.

Nearby, look for the small early medieval church dedicated to S. Agata, which together with its convent, is today home to the Museo Archeologico Nazionale (National Archaeological Museum).