Scheggia e Pascelupo
Eremo di San Girolamo
The hermitage of San Girolamo is situated on the eastern side of Mount Cucco and is accessible along the scenic road that connects Scheggia with Sassoferrato, crossing the Gola of Corno.
In a background of a beautiful natural landscape of a steep rock side, at the end of a street, the hermitage rises up on the climb. The primitive Church, dating back the XI century, is formed of three large stone constructions with ceiling vaulted and a high central tower; the internal elements and windows, stone work, they clearly reveal the Romanesque style. In small caves at the base of the steep wall, the old cells are obtained. A narrow path connects the monastery built around the fourteenth century on a spur overlooking the valley of the Rio Freddo. Tradition told that in this place he took refuge, around Mille, St. Jerome to escape persecution. Probably in the hermitage he retired in prayer San Domenico Loricato, who died in 1060 and at the end of the thirteenth century it was chosen as a retreat by Blessed Thomas of Costacciaro, who lived in solitude, perhaps for more than 40 years. In 1521 officially he was declared hermitage to the work of the Blessed Paolo Giustiniani with the permission of Leo X; He arose as one of the first monasteries of Camaldolese Congregation of Monte Corona. From then until the early nineteenth century, it became an important cultural center, with pharmacy, garden and library, and then decay slowly until its final closure in 1925 by order of Pope Pius XI. The state of neglet persisted until 1981, when they began restoration works. In 1992 the hermitage was reopened by the hermits Camaldolesi
In the surrounding area
You might also like