Acquasparta

Church of San Francesco - Acquasparta

map thumbnail


Tourist information and welcome office
Via Cassian Bon, 4 - 05100 Terni
info@iat.terni.it

In 1294 the church of San Francesco was built in according with the wish of the Venerable Brother Cardinal Matteo Bentivenga of Acquasparta.


It's situated just outside the walls of Acquasparta. It's characterized by Franciscan "poor" architecture. It's a very interesting example of the art of transition from Romanesque. Behind the apse of the church they remain a pretty little Franciscan cloister, the refectory and a part of the dormitories. Recently the cloister was bought back and restored by the Municipality of Acquasparta.

Inside, ther's a remarkable icon representing the Vergine col Figlio in braccio of the first half of the XIV century. It has always been invoked by Acquaspartani as Madonna della Stella. The image of this Madonna appears in the history of Acquasparta, especially during plagues, earthquakes, wars. It also keeps a copy of the famous franciscan canvas painting depicting San Francesco and, on the sides, known episodes of the life of the Poverello of Assisi by Margheritone of Arezzo.

The original franciscan canvas is kept at Uffizi, in Florence. Finally, it's remarkable the ancient wooden Crucifix (sec. XIV), brought to this church from San Giovanni di Butris.