Città della Pieve
Church of Santa Maria dei Bianchi
The church of Santa Maria dei Bianchi, former Oratory of the Disciplined, is at the center of Città della Pieve.
Documents testify the existing in the fourteenth century both of the church than the annexed hospital, then became a hospice. Since the XVIII century, it began the building of the new church on the previous structure. In 1743 they completed the interventions inside, in 1772 it began the restoration of the facade, completed around 1780. The facade is characterized by Rococo style and Neoclassical style. Inside they are remarkable the frescos and paintings of the Roman painter Giovanni Miselli, 1743-1744, the Presentation in the Temple altar and Stefano Cremoni stucco. It’s valuable the organ that is situated on the counter, art work by Claudio Carletti of Fabriano. It’s remarkable the fresco in the sacristy by Antonio Circignani depicting The Presentation of Mary in the Temple of 1606, unfortunately it’s ruined by moisture. Inside the church the painter Pietro Vannucci, known as Perugino, invited in 1504 by the friars, painted the Adoration of the Magi scene on the whole back wall. He worked so quickly to finish it the same year. It’s one of the largest and most complex works which the famous painter created. The Perugino conceived and often performed the Nativity. It’s certainly one of the most beautiful works: they are represented beautiful landscape in the background, the finesse of the characters which are very numerous and small in this composition. They are only thirty life-size figures. The middle part is the most accurate and it demonstrates that Perugino in the part most attractive the observer's gaze shows his undeniable talent. The painting of side figures groups are made by the assistants of the Perugino. The church is one of the three parishes churches of the city.
You might also like