Chiesa di San Michele Arcangelo - Bevagna

map thumbnail

Tourist information and welcome office
Corso Cavour 126 - 06034 Foligno
It was the first cathedral of the city, then collegiate abolished by Frederick II in 1248. Only in 1620 it was restored by Pope Paul V.
Over the centuries the church underwent many changes: in the fifteenth century the roof was restored by the will of prior Bernard Eroli, in the seventeenth century the interior and the facade were adapted to Baroque style. It was opened a new canopy dobato demolishing the original and of the shelf with arches; inside both the Church and the crypt were entirely covered with stucco and vaulted "camorcanna"; the bell tower built in the late twelfth century was changed at the top using the existing bell pieces of recovery. In 1666 the new church was consecrated by Bishop of Spoleto. Further restorations dating 1741st 1834. Between 1951 and 1957 the church was restored to its original forma, demolishing baroque and restoring the missing parts interventions. Today amongst rehabilitation work will highlight the floor, the staircase leading to the presbytery, the wooden roof to pitched, the great oculus of the facade with the reconstruction of the central arches. The current structure is a basilica layout with a raised presbytery and naves separated by columns with arches crossing characterized by rincassate rings resting on abraded capitals for baroque interventions. The facade  dates back to the early thirteenth century. It is built in travertine blocks; below there are three doors,the central one is richly adorned; higher up is divided into five parts by four shaped awls; those on the right are extended in the belfry; between awls there are three lights; He runs over a row of blind arches resting on molded brackets human and animal heads.  By pilasters projecting four busts, two animalistic ones and the third one in the shape of a man's head crowned. The central door of the facade uses as a Roman jambs frames in part reworked; tax arch are, on the left, the winged bust of St. Michael with spear in one hand and open book in the other one; next to him a dragon tries to bite the spear of the archangel; under the inscription (Rodolfo and Binello made these works; Christ always bless them; St. Michael keep them).
The other side is an angel with a processional cross and title block. The crypt consists of twelve spans determined by six slender columns.