Chiesa del Santissimo Crocefisso
The building, dating back to XVII century was the object of a drastic restoration allowing of evading a long period of decline and neglect: it was reopened for worship August 15, 2004. In the place where the church is now there was a small chapel in whose back wall was painted a crucifixion: to the image of the crucifix SS.mo were attributed many miracles and in its altar were collected enormous alms. In 1601 the municipality of the time, solicited by the population, asked the Ecclesiastical Authority permission to build a church around this little chapel. The construction began by the architect Francesco Scalza of Orvieto, the son of the famous Ippolito and the Community took on much of the expenditure. Various problems brought huge delays. Not least those related to the events of the conflict between the Farnese and the Pope for supremacy on the Duchy of Castro,; the six paintings of the pilasters, with motifs related to the Passion of Jesus, are of that period. The church was open for worship only in 1633. In the new church the SS.mo the altar was the back wall with the image of the crucifix of the small original chapel. From the ecclesiastical point of view, the place of worship was associated with the Confraternita della Morte, pious old institution that for this event, since that time, it was called the Confraternita della Morte e del Santissimo Crocifisso. Almost a century later, in the early 1700s, the altar wooden machine was built. During 1700 were built the two side chapels. After various transformations they were dedicated to Our Lady of Good Counsel, image so venerated by citizens of Monteleone, and Our Lady of Sorrows, located to the right, which houses the statue used in the Venerdì Santo procession.