Vallo di Nera

Castello Vallo di Nera

map thumbnail


Tourist information and welcome office
Via Giovanni da Chiavano 1 - 06043 Cascia
info@iat.cascia.pg.it
The city of Vallo di Nera is very picturesque and suggestive by the dense vegetation surrounding it. The castle is perched on a peak overlooking the river and valley.
It preserves intact much of the medieval defensive structure, such as long stretches of wall, or door with a round arch leading into the fairy-tale village of narrow streets and interesting monuments. Among them, the tall square tower, or the Gothic church of San Francesco. Inside the church, remarkable is the apse decorated with frescoes by Pietro di Cola da Camerino and Francesco Antonio (1383). Other interesting frescoes by Cola di Pietro, including a Procession of the Whites and Peace, signed and dated in 1401, and interesting anonymous of the fourteenth and fifteenth century, decorate the walls of the nave. The church also contains a Romanesque shaped cross and further frescoes are found in the sacristy and in the cloister. On the top of the castle is another interesting church dedicated to St. John the Baptist, built in the fourteenth century. In the apse there are frescoes of 1536 by Jacopo Siculo and it’s remarkable also a tabernacle for the holy oil of 1504. At the center of the castle, still visible, it is the old town hall. In 1216, the fortress was built by Spoleto over a pre-existing Lombard settlement. In 1258 the Castle housed the King of Sicily Manfredi of Svevia, while in 1419 it housed Braccio Fortebracci addressing to Aquila.At the beginning of the sixteenth century it was sacked several times and there were incursions by Petrone di Vallo and Jerome Brancaleoni. In 1527 the castle passed into the Lanzichenetti, led by Sciarra Colonna II, plundering and destroying part of the building, bringing the plague. A few years later Pierluigi Farnese stopped there for a long with 4,000 Spaniards before heading to Perugia for the Salt War. In 1563 Vallo emanated its municipal statutes, and, finally, in 1928 it became autonomous municipality