Montegabbione

The Castle of Casteldifiori

map thumbnail


Tourist information and welcome office
Piazza Duomo 24 - 05018 Orvieto
info@iat.orvieto.tr.it
The village of Castelfiori, in the municipality of Montegabbione, is placed in the countryside and surrounded by woods.
Recently renovated, the village is surrounded by walls that have kept its medieval charm and is dominated by the Castle, which was mentioned already in 1350, and by its tower, dating back to the early 1200s. In the central square there is a statue of the Archangel Michael, built in 1937 by the sculptor Michele Perla and inspired by that in the Sanctuary of Saint Michael the Archangel in Monte Sant'Angelo, in the province of Foggia. The church of Santa Maria Maddalena rises up on the central square, rebuild between the XVII and XVIII century, probably on the ruins of the ancient castle church. The building, built in stone, has a single nave. Inside, in the niche on the back wall, there is a Marian mural, while along the left wall is the niche of Santa Maria Maddalena.