Abbazia di San Salvatore di Montecorona
The Abbazia di San Salvatore di Montecorona, is amongst the most important Benedictine abbeys in Umbria, not far from the town of Umbertide, in a rather isolated context.
Historically linked to the Camaldolese order, it was probably founded by San Romualdo in 1008-1009, and in 1050 San Pier Damiani (Saint Peter Damian), worked there as a reformer.
Over time, it became an important economic centre and a large estate. It has remained intact and is still one of the biggest farms in the region.
The upper-church, of Romanesque origin, was consecrated in 1105 and later modified in 16th and 17th centuries.
The interior has three naves; the central one has fourteenth-century frescoes of the Umbrian School.
In the raised presbytery with a gothic apse, is a ciborium from the 8th century decorated with bas-reliefs and a choir from the 16th century.
Of significant interest is also the octagonal campanile, perhaps adapted from a pre-existing defensive tower in the 14th century.
Under the church is the crypt of Santa Maria delle Grazie (Our Lady of Graces), which can perhaps be dated to the 11th century.