Museo ornitologico - naturalistico "Silvio Bambini"- Pietralunga

map thumbnail

Corso Cavour 5 - 06012 Città di Castello
Located on the northeast side of the Tiber Valley, Pietralunga occupies the end of a hilly ridge near the Umbria-Marche Apennines.
It is surrounded by wooded hills that slope in wide green valleys. Despite the typically medieval character of the old town, with its narrow alleys converging towards a single square on which the palazzi, churches, convents and the former hospital, Pietralunga has prehistoric origins, as evidenced by numerous archaeological finds preserved the Archaeological Museum of Perugia including the "Flute on human tibia" and some "forts" scattered in the territory. The first urban settlement, as "Tufi", however, leads back to the Umbrian people, in the period in which it held the rituals described in the third century BC Tables of Gubbio that retain the longest text written in the Umbrian language and the most detailed description for religious rites belonging to the ancient Western world. The Roman period are ancient villae, or complex of buildings that forms a sort of agricultural era company, aqueducts and roads, including a diverticulum (branch) of the Flaminia consular road that connected it to the Tiber Valley. Of this branch they are still visible traits completely covered with thick limestone slabs known. In the territory of Pietralunga the spread of Christianity is tied to the vicissitudes of St. Crescenziano. Roman legionnaire who brought in these territories the new doctrine, Crescenziano, according to the sacred legend, killed on the outskirts of Città di Castello, the dragon that was raging in these places. During the Christian persecution made by Diocletian, Crescenziano was beheaded and buried in the place where now stands the church de 'Saddi, the oldest church in the area, built in the fifth century A.D. on the ruins of a Roman temple to preserve the body of the martyr. Inside the church, an eighth-century bas-relief depicting the saint slaying the dragon. The Roman settlement, built in the valley, was abandoned following the barbarian invasions and the city rebuilt in VI VII century on today's hill by the name of Plebs Tuphiae. At the same historical period it goes back the start of construction of the church of Santa Maria and the pentagonal fortress Lombard. Over time the territory of Pietralunga became very prosperous and populous, with its rich pastures which made him attribute the name Pratalonga, becoming a free Commune from 'XI to XIV century and thus be provided with the Statutes and the Land Registry. At the end of the fourteenth century it was allied Pietralunga and submitted in Citta di Castello, becoming an integral part of the territory. From then on its history he proceeded in parallel with that of the major cities that provided to send, periodically, a captain with full powers in the administration of public affairs. This situation lasted until 1817, when Pietralunga was elevated to the rank of municipality. Since 1860 he followed the events of the Kingdom of Italy. Pietralunga participated with more than 100 killed in the First World War and in the second, after September 8, 1943, with the establishment of the Proletarian Shock Brigade San Faustino, became the resistance operations center in upper Umbria: for this reason Umbria is the only municipality decorated with medal for bravery. The medieval town is built around the Lombard fortress, dating from the eighth century, as
the village and the surrounding walls that still characterize the city today. The fortress, despite the subsequent amendments, had lost none of the characteristic pentagonal base. Of the three ancient gates the only one left intact is the door of Cassino, on whose left side a plaque in the sixteenth century, it remembers the restoration along with the castle walls. Of particular interest are the urban parish church of Santa Maria, dating from the eighth-ninth century, which has a valuable Romanesque portal and suburban parish church, today the sanctuary of Our Lady of Remedies.