Eremo di Monte Corona - Umbertide

map thumbnail

Corso Cavour 5 - 06012 Città di Castello
The hermitage of Montecorona is situated near the town of Umbertide, in an isolated place.
Born in the XVI century, on the top of the Mount (700 metres) in a forest of fir and chestnut trees, it had always a close and deep connection with the abbey of San Salvatore with whom it was connected by a brick road: the first was the center of religious life, while the Abbey was the seat of economic activity and shelter for the old and sick monks, no longer able to comply with the strict rules of the hermit's life. Since 1530 its building started. It was dedicated to house that Camaldolese branch( the hermits of St. Romuald) that precisely aimed to reconciliation to eremitic spirit. The complex, which consists of the eighteenth-century church with stucco decorations and the monks' houses, became lay properties by the suppression of religious orders and constituted a safe haven in times of war. Then it passed through a period of total abandonment until in 1981, when four nuns of the Monastic Family of Bethlehem came to this place and began the work of restructuring. Nine years later, in November 1990, the nuns founded a new monastery in which they moved near Mocaiana, a fraction of Gubbio. The monks of the same order have been at Montecorona since 1990.