Church of St. Sebastian - Panicale

map thumbnail

Piazza Mazzini 10 - 06061 Castiglione del Lago

The church of St. Sebastian was built for sure among the 14th and the 15th century and it was modified in its present form in 1623. 

It was adorned with capitals, cornices, two altars and two small choirs.

Inside the Church you can see the fresco of the “St. Sebastian’s Martyr”, by Pietro Perugino.

Outside the Church in the upper left part there are two terracotta panels beating the data 1690 and 1725, whereas it’s possible to find the data 1692 in the external part of the garden.

It’s very difficult to interpret these three dates. It is assumed that the date 1690 refers to the year when Nuns took possession of the building thanks to a legacy from Monsignor Paolo Corsetti to the College of Virgins.

Very likely is also the date 1725 that could refer to another legacy to the College.

The last date, 1692, is for sure referred to the building of the surrounding wall at the initiative of the College’s Nuns.