Village

Deruta


Tourist information and welcome office
Piazza Matteotti, 18 - Loggia dei Lanari - 06121 Perugia
info@iat.perugia.it
HISTORY
The origins of the town go back to ancient times. When Perugia conquered the territory in the 12th century, Deruta was transformed into a border fortress to defend Perugia against Todi and other potential enemies, but by the 13th century Deruta had its own statute and governed itself independently. The 14th and 15th centuries were periods of great upheavals with alternating dominations, destruction and large-scale plagues. Domination by the Baglioni family from Perugia in 1500 was the start of the reconstruction of most of the town and meant that Deruta was able to rise from its ashes. During the Salt War in 1540, Deruta sided with the Roman Catholic Church, which went on to win the war and rewarded the town by exonerating it from paying taxes for many years. From that time on it was part of the Papal States until the Unification of Italy. From mid 1500 the town enjoyed a long period of peace that coincided with an all-time peak in majolica production that made Deruta famous all over the world.
ART, CULTURE, ENVIRONMENT
To be seen in the historical town centre is the San Michele Arcangelo city-gate, with traces of the ancient city walls to the sides. Beyond the gate are the remains of several ovens, the small Biordo Michelotti square and the church of S. Michele Arcangelo with its Romanesque-Gothic facade. The polygonal fountain was constructed by the Quinqueviri, public bankers, in 1848. Piazza dei Consoli opens out shortly beyond and features the Palazzo Comunale, town hall, that houses the Art Gallery containing an important collection of paintings from the churches of  San Francesco, Sant'Antonio, from the Defunti di Ripabianca and the hospital of San Giacomo, and a part of Lione Pascoli's valuable collection. Together with paintings by Perugino and Alunno. In front of the municipal building is the church of San Francesco in Gothic style. Next to this is the ex-convent, founded in 1008 by Benedictine monks and later given to the Franciscans, where the magnificent ceramics from the archaic period to today can be admired. Noteworthy is the church of Sant'Angelo with its Romanesque-Gothic facade; the church of Sant'Antonio Abate that contains significant frescoes by Bartolomeo and Gian Battista Caporali; and the small church of Madonna del Divino Amore, today known as Madonna della Cerasa. On Via Tiberina is the church of Madonna delle Piagge from 1601, with a beautiful ceramic on its facade; and close by is the interesting Museo di Maioliche, majolica museum. In the vicinity can be seen the Santuario della Madonna dei Bagni, which contains an extraordinary collection of ceramic tile votive offerings made by the locals over the last four centuries in thanks to the Madonna; the castle of San Nicolò di Celle; Castellone; and the ruins of Casilina castle.