Gualdo Cattaneo

Church of Sant' Agostino

map thumbnail


Tourist information and welcome office
Corso Cavour 126 - 06034 Foligno
info@iat.foligno.pg.it
The church of Sant' Agostino is the oldest of Gualdo Cattaneo.

It was built in 1136 by order of Benedictine monks who also built a small convent beside it. This convent was suppressed in 1652 by Pope Innocent X and no longer exists. Now there is the parish house and a housing complex belonging to the Diocesan Institute clergy sustenance leased to the Carabinieri Corps.

The church, originally dedicated to the Annunciation and to St. Benedict, passed in 1258 to the Augustinian hermits: they restored it and named it after the holy bishop of Hippo; the prior of the community was the blessed Ugolino da Gualdo Cattaneo. Restored in 1926, and more recently around the beginning of the 1990s, it was indicated as a parish church in 1988. Today, however, the parish church is that of Saints Anthony and Antoninus, located in the central square of Gualdo.

The original facade features an ogival portal in pink stone and the structure of sandstone blocks. In the middle of the door, on the keystone of the arch, is carved the figure of the protector of the town of Gualdo Cattaneo, St. Michael the Archangel. The interior, with a splendid wooden trussed ceiling, houses a large fresco of 1482 by the School of Foligno painter Nicolò Alunno depicting the Crucifixion; there is also a painting of the fifteenth century and a panel of the fourteenth century by Maestro Bastiano.

 



Tastes and flavours