Vallo di Nera

Chiesa di San Giovanni Battista

map thumbnail


Tourist information and welcome office
Via Giovanni da Chiavano 1 - 06043 Cascia
info@iat.cascia.pg.it
The church dedicated to San Giovanni Battista of Vallo di Nera was built during the 13th and 14th century. In the 16th century the absidal part was enlarged and partially rebuilt (the date is engraved on the left corner of the facade).
The façade belongs to this period as well as the bell tower, the portal and the rose window. Inside the church there are important works of art: a baptismal font of the 16th century, a fresco of 1536 by Jacopo Siculo, in the apse, the Transit of the Madonna, a splendid example of the school of Raphael of the 16th century, a Pietà and symbols of the Passion of the same artist, a graceful Holy Oil of 1504, many paintings of the 16th century as well as some relics covering the period from 1722 to 1814. Along the side walls of the church, finally, the fourteen stations of the Via Crucis dating back to 1749. On the front of the arch Jacopo Siculo painted a delicate Annunciation and the life size figures of San Sebastiano and San Rocco.